Boars And Sows

Ashlee2642

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
we currently have 7 boars. 2 are bonded and the rest live solo in their owns cages. My oldest sons has 4 boars in 3 cages in his room, my daughter has 2 boars in 2 cages in her room and my other son has one boar in his room.
We have tried several times to bond paid so they can live in peace but it hasn’t worked. Some of them can play fine together otherwise, they need to be alone.

I am now worried because I have a niece that can no longer care for her 2 young sows that she got this summer. She has asked me to take them so they don’t have to go to the shelter.

My worry is that having 2 young sows in my home will unsettle all the boars. No one is neutered and her sows are not spayed. We live is the US and it is not a common thing to do where I live.

Can anyone advise me on what I should do?

Ashlee

Welcome to our friendly forum. Someone will be along soon to advise I'm sure but I just wanted to say hello!

we currently have 7 boars. 2 are bonded and the rest live solo in their owns cages. My oldest sons has 4 boars in 3 cages in his room, my daughter has 2 boars in 2 cages in her room and my other son has one boar in his room.
We have tried several times to bond paid so they can live in peace but it hasn’t worked. Some of them can play fine together otherwise, they need to be alone.

I am now worried because I have a niece that can no longer care for her 2 young sows that she got this summer. She has asked me to take them so they don’t have to go to the shelter.

My worry is that having 2 young sows in my home will unsettle all the boars. No one is neutered and her sows are not spayed. We live is the US and it is not a common thing to do where I live.

Can anyone advise me on what I should do?

Ashlee

Hi and welcome

You can happily keep single boars next to a sow cage as they have nopig to fall out with - and they will certainly love it!
It is the boar pairs that can get upset by sow pheromones and that should be ideally in another room. If necessary, try to keep the door to their room closed at first until the first sow season is over with depending on the boys' age (teenage months between 4-14 months are worst).

Perhaps the best place is next to your son's single boar; he will appreciate the stimulation though the bars most! Just make sure that your boar cannot get out of his cage; boars can be amazingly agile and determined when sows are in season. Make sure that you cable tie any connecting C&C grids top and bottom so they cannot be pried apart and also ensure that he cannot climb over the top.

Since we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you added your country and/or state to your details so we can always tailor any advice to what is available and relevant where you are. We have quite a number of US and Canadian members.
Please click in your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and saves everybody time. Thank you! (PS: In the same section you can also upload your avatar picture that comes up with your posts).

Back