Boarding

XOforever

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all. My family and I are going away for a month so my two boars will be staying at a small boarding facility. I have to provide a cage and I’m worried that their regular 3x4 c&c won’t be accepted since I don’t have any proper cage liners. It’s so wide that I just prefer to layer fleece and a waterproof mattress protector (folded in) on top of a shower curtain.

So instead I figure I’d just let them stay in a play pen that is smaller but has much nicer and convenient store brought liners. It is however just around 10.4 square feet which is close enough to the bare minimum for two male guinea pigs, but I’m worried that downsizing will upset them. They’ll have less space to run around and might get annoyed with each other. They currently get along very well but it’s gonna be like this for a whole month so I’m worried. Is their temporary downsizing okay or should I try harder to make a larger cage work?

How old are they?
Have you asked the boarding place which cage and bedding they would prefer?

The reality is in any new environment two boars will reestablish their relationship and all comes down to whether they want to be together - in a well bonded couple it should just result in a bit of extra dominance but come to nothing more. The way to minimise the effects of a new environment is to either use soiled bedding in the new environment or to rub the new bedding with the soiled bedding - you’re trying to make the new cage still smell like them so they recognise it as their own.

Back