Boar Trio

Holden89

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, I currently have a trio of boars. I know this is said to not usually work, but so far it is. I am re-evaluating all my pigs living situation (I will probably ask a question about that in the housing section soon). I'm just wondering what ages they usually start to have problems? Or if other people have had a trio stay together successfully? I do have a lone boar after his cagemate passed away, but I'm worried about messing up the trio if I try to bond one of them with him...

It’s usually around the teenage months 4-14 months when hormone spikes strike and fallouts happen. This can happen with any boars pairs or more. It’s very much down to personalities, who will back down to the dominant boar or not. Trios find it hard to sort out the hierarchy in most cases, that’s why most ultimately fail. The older they are the less likely they are to fall out. Old boars are often just happy to have some company and tend to play down the hierarchy stakes

Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides

Hi

It depends on the age and personality of your boys. The testosterone output in boars peaks at 6 months of age during the height of teenage and then gradually eases down. It slowly peters out from about 4 years onward.

This means that as a rule (with exceptions), teenagers are hardest to bond while golden oldies boars are generally more like sows (only by that age much lessy 'handbaggy') and very often value company over hierarchical aspects. old boar trios and quartets are not all that rare.

It all depends however on whether the personalities gel.

If you want to split an existing boar trio, look for the boy who is a bit of an outsider and leave the two boys who are getting on best together. However, be aware that him coming back if a bonding with your newbie has failed could also fail if it necessitates a new round of group re-establishment that is not going smoothly and that is waking up some old hard feelings again.

Thank you. Oldest boy (who is actually dad to the other two) is 15 months old and the two sons are 10.5 months old. TBH I never really see much of anything from any of them... they just all seem to get on equally, never see squabbles etc. They also have the two other brothers through the grids to them and they all get on, lie side by side through the grids etc.

I do worry about removing one for the lone boar incase that bonding fails and I end up with two lone boars. I also don't have a clue who to pick to remove... I will feel really guilty if it fails and I removed him when he was settled and happy.

Thank you. Oldest boy (who is actually dad to the other two) is 15 months old and the two sons are 10.5 months old. TBH I never really see much of anything from any of them... they just all seem to get on equally, never see squabbles etc. They also have the two other brothers through the grids to them and they all get on, lie side by side through the grids etc.

I do worry about removing one for the lone boar incase that bonding fails and I end up with two lone boars. I also don't have a clue who to pick to remove... I will feel really guilty if it fails and I removed him when he was settled and happy.

If they are as well bonded as this, especially considering their age, please leave your existing boys alone - about the same number of young boar trios work out as you end up with three singles (about 10% each with all teenage trios). If you are blessed to have one of the former, then please leave be. The rule with boars is to never break what is working fine as it is. You still have got another 6 months to go with them before they reach adulthood so you may want to review later on.

I would recommend that you keep the single boy as a next door companion for the time being and re-evaluate the situation once the trio is finally fully out of teenage.

We are here to help you work out what is best for your specific situation since there is very often not a clear yes or no. It very much depends on your personal circumstances.

Back