Boar pair in a room with sows?

Olivitree

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello there,

Barely even a day after losing his girlfriend really unexpectedly, my little boar Cinnamon (not 100% on his age, between 4 and 6 I think) is looking really sad and scared. I'm desperately looking around for another sow but really struggling.
He's completely changed personality since losing her, he ran into a wall (he was ok I got him out to check) last night when I was bringing up veggies he was so scared, I wasn't any louder than usual he's just so on edge since he's been alone.

My problem is, I can't find a girly, but I can find tons of boars and I have no issue with having two boars except that my cage is unfortunately entirely dependant on the cage next to it as it has a removable wall with cage mesh, so they can see and smell each other. My plan was to one day merge the two cages but, thats not happening for a while, if ever, I think.
I have heard this is a big problem for boars. Is there any way this can work? would I just be able to put a solid wall in so they couldn't see each other and that would be enough or would the smell of them potentially set the boys off and make them fight?

I don't REALLY have room to separate the cages into different rooms, one room would also likely be colder and less used by people so, I'd be worried I'd not see or hear issues as they arise with one set of piggies or the other, right now they're right behind us when we're on our PCs, we work and do a lot of our down time on the computers, so they have us in the room for pretty much the entire day normally. I could work something out potentially but it would be a sad change and a difficult one to achieve as I'll have to do a bunch more DIY to make permeant walls for each cage and this little man needs a friend ASAP.

I should say I have tried twice to get the girls to accept Cinnamon, but he's a randy little sod and the older boss lady of the pair, Bella, absolutely hates him for it. They get on ok for a little while until she gets sick to death of him pestering her then it turns to teeth clattering, squaring off and big fight vibes so I have to throw in the towel, the younger, Raisin, just huddles scared in a corner and tries to stay out of the way, screaming if anyone comes near her. So, not the best vibes.
I'm probably going to try once more as it's been nearly a year since the last attempt and see if Cinnamon can keep his paws off them and take a hint when he's not wanted, but I suspect as usual they're both holding a massive grudge so I'm not expecting anything to come of it, if they even give each other a funny look I'll probably give up I don't want anyone to get injured and I already know they're not really keen on each other.

Hello there,

Barely even a day after losing his girlfriend really unexpectedly, my little boar Cinnamon (not 100% on his age, between 4 and 6 I think) is looking really sad and scared. I'm desperately looking around for another sow but really struggling.
He's completely changed personality since losing her, he ran into a wall (he was ok I got him out to check) last night when I was bringing up veggies he was so scared, I wasn't any louder than usual he's just so on edge since he's been alone.

My problem is, I can't find a girly, but I can find tons of boars and I have no issue with having two boars except that my cage is unfortunately entirely dependant on the cage next to it as it has a removable wall with cage mesh, so they can see and smell each other. My plan was to one day merge the two cages but, thats not happening for a while, if ever, I think.
I have heard this is a big problem for boars. Is there any way this can work? would I just be able to put a solid wall in so they couldn't see each other and that would be enough or would the smell of them potentially set the boys off and make them fight?

I don't REALLY have room to separate the cages into different rooms, one room would also likely be colder and less used by people so, I'd be worried I'd not see or hear issues as they arise with one set of piggies or the other, right now they're right behind us when we're on our PCs, we work and do a lot of our down time on the computers, so they have us in the room for pretty much the entire day normally. I could work something out potentially but it would be a sad change and a difficult one to achieve as I'll have to do a bunch more DIY to make permeant walls for each cage and this little man needs a friend ASAP.

I should say I have tried twice to get the girls to accept Cinnamon, but he's a randy little sod and the older boss lady of the pair, Bella, absolutely hates him for it. They get on ok for a little while until she gets sick to death of him pestering her then it turns to teeth clattering, squaring off and big fight vibes so I have to throw in the towel, the younger, Raisin, just huddles scared in a corner and tries to stay out of the way, screaming if anyone comes near her. So, not the best vibes.
I'm probably going to try once more as it's been nearly a year since the last attempt and see if Cinnamon can keep his paws off them and take a hint when he's not wanted, but I suspect as usual they're both holding a massive grudge so I'm not expecting anything to come of it, if they even give each other a funny look I'll probably give up I don't want anyone to get injured and I already know they're not really keen on each other.

Hi

Start a gentle chatter as soon as you come into the room and a more exciting one when you are bringing food. A predator who is making noises is not hunting. It helps with my own very skittish piggies.

Could Cinnamon live right next to your girls with just a divider for constant stimulation and interaction and taking his social cues from?

The testosterone in older boars fizzles out and they become generally more sociable (individual personalities excepted). Perhaps another older submissive rescue boar for company would be a better alternative. Unfortunately, once sows have made their mind up about another piggy, they are not going to to change it, ever.

The rules of boars and sows in the same room can be found in chapter 3 (dos and don'ts) in our Boar guide: A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Hi

Start a gentle chatter as soon as you come into the room and a more exciting one when you are bringing food. A predator who is making noises is not hunting. It helps with my own very skittish piggies.

Could Cinnamon live right next to your girls with just a divider for constant stimulation and interaction and taking his social cues from?

The testosterone in older boars fizzles out and they become generally more sociable (individual personalities excepted). Perhaps another older submissive rescue boar for company would be a better alternative. Unfortunately, once sows have made their mind up about another piggy, they are not going to to change it, ever.

The rules of boars and sows in the same room can be found in chapter 3 (dos and don'ts) in our Boar guide: A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
I'll try being a bit more chatty, poor lad, never use to be so skittish, maybe I was being too quiet I was feeling very down last night and I don't think I did my usual "peegs peegs peegs" as I came in the room thinking about it, that in mind I'm not surprised he freaked out when I turned up at the bars, I thought I had spoken but I'm not so sure now.
I could make the barrier between them even more interactable just by putting in some C&C cage pieces instead of the wood and single raised C&C piece, I was mostly worried they might chomp a lip through the bars or something if I didn't have enough mesh they were really ratty with each other initially.

I'll see if I can find a little old man somewhere, I'd be more than happy to give an older boar a home I know there's so many out there that need help. What sort of age would you say they start to settle down? presumably varies pig to pig but would be helpful to have a ballpark figure.

I thought there was something on boars and sows in the same room somewhere! I think I did read over it briefly but my brain was moosh yesterday (still is) and I think I missed that section! which is odd because I did read the "one for each boar" rule.

Thanks very much for your help again. Hopefully I can get this little guy happy and loving life again.

I'll try being a bit more chatty, poor lad, never use to be so skittish, maybe I was being too quiet I was feeling very down last night and I don't think I did my usual "peegs peegs peegs" as I came in the room thinking about it, that in mind I'm not surprised he freaked out when I turned up at the bars, I thought I had spoken but I'm not so sure now.
I could make the barrier between them even more interactable just by putting in some C&C cage pieces instead of the wood and single raised C&C piece, I was mostly worried they might chomp a lip through the bars or something if I didn't have enough mesh they were really ratty with each other initially.

I'll see if I can find a little old man somewhere, I'd be more than happy to give an older boar a home I know there's so many out there that need help. What sort of age would you say they start to settle down? presumably varies pig to pig but would be helpful to have a ballpark figure.

I thought there was something on boars and sows in the same room somewhere! I think I did read over it briefly but my brain was moosh yesterday (still is) and I think I missed that section! which is odd because I did read the "one for each boar" rule.

Thanks very much for your help again. Hopefully I can get this little guy happy and loving life again.

The same age as yours is - 4 years plus. ;)

Make sure that you give yourself a time to calm down every day. Mental hygiene is crucial in times of stress as it helps us to function. You can only support your piggies, family and friends for any length of time if you look after yourself first and make sure that you can keep functioning. That is not selfish - rather the opposite because you cannot help anybody when you have run out of steam. Every locomotive needs very regular maintenance, and so needs every human carer in order to allow them to pull their weight. ;)

Back