Boar in herd of 5 just passed. 4 sows remain

algetron

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Algernon came to us last November after his friend died and his owner didn't want to get a replacement, and knew he needs to be in a group. We already had 1 boar and 4 sows, and Algernon joined the herd nicely without any fighting. The original boar who was 6 or 7 died a few months later, leaving Algernon and 4 sows. The herd has lived harmoniously since.

I noticed Algernon moved quite stiffly and his weight had suddenly dropped to 600g. This last happened in August but after critical care we got him back up over 800g and he was very active and eating and drinking regularly on his own. I tried to give him some critical care and water today via syringe but he didn't seem very interested. We put him back on the fleece and he collapsed on his side. After an hour lying on my wife's lap in a towel, he passed away.

He liked being stroked and handled, and enjoyed exploring (we have an open pen). He was also incredibly loud when he thinks an unacceptable amount of time has passed since he was last fed. I'd never known a piggie to scream so loudly.

We are now considering if we need to get another boar or if the remaining sows can live together without one. Is it best to get a new boar immediately before any potential problems can arise, or can we wait and see what happens?

Attachments

• 20221110_172910.webp
    20221110_172910.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221003_154758.webp
    20221003_154758.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220629_201645.webp
    20220629_201645.webp
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
I'm sorry for your loss.

A sow herd can live together quite happily with or without a boar so its really up to you whether you get another neutered boar or not.

Algernon came to us last November after his friend died and his owner didn't want to get a replacement, and knew he needs to be in a group. We already had 1 boar and 4 sows, and Algernon joined the herd nicely without any fighting. The original boar who was 6 or 7 died a few months later, leaving Algernon and 4 sows. The herd has lived harmoniously since.

I noticed Algernon moved quite stiffly and his weight had suddenly dropped to 600g. This last happened in August but after critical care we got him back up over 800g and he was very active and eating and drinking regularly on his own. I tried to give him some critical care and water today via syringe but he didn't seem very interested. We put him back on the fleece and he collapsed on his side. After an hour lying on my wife's lap in a towel, he passed away.

He liked being stroked and handled, and enjoyed exploring (we have an open pen). He was also incredibly loud when he thinks an unacceptable amount of time has passed since he was last fed. I'd never known a piggie to scream so loudly.

We are now considering if we need to get another boar or if the remaining sows can live together without one. Is it best to get a new boar immediately before any potential problems can arise, or can we wait and see what happens?

Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry about your loss. Algernon was a beautiful and obviously much loved boy.

If you need help to make sense of what has just happened and suffer strong feelings of guilt or failure, then you may find this link here helpful. It also contains practical tips what you can do for bereaved guinea pigs: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

A sow herd can live on their own without a boar.

However, if you have the space and funds, please consider adopting a castrated boar from a rescue because boars are often stuck in rescue and most rescues are rather full. The situation is not as desperate/out of control in Germany as it is in the UK and the USA but it is getting worse, too.
The rescue - especially a good standard one with bonding experience - may help you find a suitable boy for your girls and you have a back up for the boy in case it doesn't work out. Please accept that rescues are generally closed for adoptions over the Christmas period but your girls will keep until the new year since they have each other for company.
You can however ask around in your area and contact all rescues having guinea pigs you can get to now. Doing something like this can help you with your grief as it is something constructive you can do.
The group will be very subdued for several days and will then start to reorganise and reconstitute themselves as a group without Algernon.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Here is a link to guinea pig rescues in Germany. What I cannot guarantee is to which level all these rescues are individually run (some of them are excellent but I am not familiar with the whole scene) but their requirements and the pointers in the link above should help you: Notstationen und Pflegestellen für Meerschweinchen - Deutschland

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

So very sorry for your loss.
He was such a handsome boy, clearly much loved and had a dream life living with his ladies.

As the girls have each other, give yourself time to grieve and then think about the future.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Back