Boar Fight PLEASE HELP

BadgerandCookswee95

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My gorgeous pigs (two boys, one 7 months one 11 months) suddenly turned on each other last night. The fight was so bad my youngest has a ripped ear, bloody nose and tears on his skin all in a matter of seconds. My oldest seems fine. This has never happened before and they have lived together for 2 months quite happily, they share food and drink, toys and beds, cuddles, everything.
They're currently separated and have a huge house. We are just heading out to get separate bottles, bowls and hideaways but is there anything else i should do? I would be heartbroken if I had to remove my oldest. Please help

I’m sorry your boys have fallen out. Unfortunately due to the nature of the tussle, they will now have to live separately. They are around the age where they have a hormone spike. Some make it through while for others they can’t settle their differences.

Are they able to live side by side and still see each other? That would cater for their interactive needs. They communicate through more than living together so can still do everything through the bars.

Be sure to clean the cuts and get him checked out at the vets.

My gorgeous pigs (two boys, one 7 months one 11 months) suddenly turned on each other last night. The fight was so bad my youngest has a ripped ear, bloody nose and tears on his skin all in a matter of seconds. My oldest seems fine. This has never happened before and they have lived together for 2 months quite happily, they share food and drink, toys and beds, cuddles, everything.
They're currently separated and have a huge house. We are just heading out to get separate bottles, bowls and hideaways but is there anything else i should do? I would be heartbroken if I had to remove my oldest. Please help

Hi and welcome

They can still continue to live in a divided large pen or in adjoining cages as a 'can't live together but can't live apart' boar pair with each their own patch but with ongoing interaction and round the clock stimulation from each other - which is what they need.
Please don't blame your older boy. It is most likely that he was badly pushed or cornered by the younger one and overreacted in defence as the only way out. Most severe bites happen actually out of fear/being trapped, not aggression.

In the end, they are both still teenagers without the option of the 'loser' removing themselves from the scene, like they would normally do. If anybody is to blame, then it is our own human pet keeping system which is in not geared towards boar needs and their specific social wiring, and therefore sadly fails them all too often on all sorts of levels.

Who thinks about a personality match first and foremost when rushing out to buy babies from a pet shop or from an online provider, neither of which cares one bit about species needs and welfare?
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

A permanent separation with adjoining territories will give them exactly that way out but still cover their social needs.
This helpful guide has chapters on specific challenges for fallen-out piggies and an in-depth discussion of your various options with their pros and cons: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

For territorial behaviours (which you will be observing quite a bit of in the coming days) see the relevant entry in this guide here; it also has an entry on biting behaviours: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Please take the time to read the coloured links in this thread. They contain lots of helpful in-depth information and how-to tips that we cannot repeat in every post but that will help you understand better what has happened and what all your possible options are for the future, so you can think things through and then make as informed a decision as possible to what solution does suit your own situation and local options best. Don't rush into a knee-jerk reaction in your upset which you may come to rue later.

I’m so sorry I’ve got the same issue. My boys are the same age and bonded them within 2 weeks fell out and they now have to be separate 😞 it’s so sad I know

Hi all,
Such amazing advice and I really appreciate it.
My boys are now separate, but we reunite them in a large run in the garden when we are outside and can watch them. They act totally normal in this environment and cuddle up as normal before we return them to their separate but close together homes.
I'm so sad. They were so happy together.
Badgers wounds have cleared up nicely and he's eating and drinking as normal which is very reassuring.

I'm now nursing my own bite received whilst quickly seperating them in a panic!

If they are now separate then you need to leave them separate at all times I’m afraid. They can’t have grass/run time together at all, although they can be next to each other if you can arrange it. Each meeting is a bonding for them and it can become stressful when you repeatedly separate them.

Please don’t let them share an undivided space even in the garden. They should not be allowed to mix at all and this includes at floor time and in the garden. Any time they are in an undivided (shared) space such as a run in the garden they will need to re-establish dominance. And you then face further fighting and injuries to them and to yourself when trying to separate them. Once they have drawn blood (as they have), then it’s game over in terms of them being together in any shared spaces.

Back