Boar Cleanings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't know which sex my piggies will be until I get them in mid August (still having trouble finding a good place to get them from. If you know any good rescues/breeders in bc close to me, pls post on my "Where to get piggies? " thread). Just in case I decide to get boars, how do you do the cleanings? How often should you do it? And is there more than one part to clean? Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I don't know which sex my piggies will be until I get them in mid August (still having trouble finding a good place to get them from. If you know any good rescues/breeders in bc close to me, pls post on my "Where to get piggies? " thread). Just in case I decide to get boars, how do you do the cleanings? How often should you do it? And is there more than one part to clean? Thank you!
I bet you're so excited to be getting your piggies. I hope someone can point you in the right direction of a rescue close by.
I have 2 boars that need occasional bum baths. There are two bits that need attention. Obviously, their little bums :) and their grease glands (just above their bum). There are a few stickies and tutorial videos knocking around if you need a demo.

Thanks! I've heard that they need their anal sac cleaned and other things cleaned, too. Do they need that? I think there's 4 things you need to clean...is this true? What are the 4 things?

When I do my boar cleanings I extend his penis and check to make sure there is no hay or bedding stuck to him, which sometimes there is, and I use mineral oil and a cotton swab to clean it. Then I clean around the very inside of his bum to remove some of the white residue, if he isn't impacted then he is probably not in need of a serious clean. My man doesn't have an active grease gland so I don't have to do this part. This should be done about once a month and done VERY gently and with a cotton swab and mineral oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back