Boar Cleaning - For or not ?

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Today was my first time doing my boars anal sack and penis cleaning. It all seemed fine until later when digby my 9 month old got very hormonal and started non stop humping and chasing winston 4 months. They have had to be separated because they started constant fighting (without blood just squaring up and circling and nipping) and in the morning i feared blood or death so i spilt their cage. They can still see and hear each other but i’ve realised my pigs might not become friends when i try to reintroduce them. I understand why someone would clean out that area for their heath and wellbeing but my mother had a guinea pig for 5 years without doing it and it was fine. I’m not saying i’m going to stop doing it but i was wondering if it would endanger them to stop doing it once a month or maybe if i could just check every month or so for impaction or build up. Any reply welcome xx

I’ve no experience with impaction, but I don’t think they are likely to get it at their age. It’s more later on when the muscles aren’t as...tight as they used to be. Were they really that grubby?

Another thing you have to consider is the fact they’re in their teenage months, so a little dominance behaviour or reassertion of hierarchy is very likely.

Just make sure when you re-introduce that you do it on neutral ground, then thoroughly clean out the cage.

I’ve no experience with impaction, but I don’t think they are likely to get it at their age. It’s more later on when the muscles aren’t as...tight as they used to be. Were they really that grubby?

Another thing you have to consider is the fact they’re in their teenage months, so a little dominance behaviour or reassertion of hierarchy is very likely.

Just make sure when you re-introduce that you do it on neutral ground, then thoroughly clean out the cage.
Yeah digbys always rumble strutting but he never really chases and humps so persistently, They weren’t really grubby at all and i understand that it’s the muscles that deteriorate when they get old but i’ve seen others clean them from young. Do you clean your pigs anal area and if so how often ? xx

Personally I just give that area a visual check once a week and if its ok I leave it alone, and if it looks particularly dirty or complicated (stuck poops or entangled fur) I get the vet nurse to sort it out! Unless they are long haired or have a long haired ladyfriend and are prone to getting fur wrapped round things then I think most younger boys are ok with a "take a look there's nothing tangled round or sticking out or sore" approach to keeping their male bits clean, if they do have something needing attention down there they will probably let you know about it!

I have to say I have never had to clean my two boars (almost two years old) - they are doing a good job of keeping things clean for themselves.

Your piggies ages may well be the large factor here though. At 9/10 months of age there is large hormone spike. At 4 months your other piggy is just entering teens. It might just be coincidence that the dominance behaviour started when you cleaned them and that it would have happened anyway

I have to say I have never had to clean my two boars (almost two years old) - they are doing a good job of keeping things clean for themselves.

Your piggies ages may well be the large factor here though. At 9/10 months of age there is large hormone spike. At 4 months your other piggy is just entering teens. It might just be coincidence that the dominance behaviour started when you cleaned them and that it would have happened anyway
I might just do observation because the boys were very clean and it was kind of pointless, thanks for your reply 😊❤️

I check my Boars monthly but all I've had to do so far is remove a tiny bit of hay always good to keep an eye on but really nothing to worry about at this age. My boys are about a year and a half old

I check my Boars monthly but all I've had to do so far is remove a tiny bit of hay always good to keep an eye on but really nothing to worry about at this age. My boys are about a year and a half old
What do you mean by check exactly ? xx

just have a bit of a look to make sure the grease gland is not plugged up and everything is as clean as it should be

I do a visual check weekly/ every time I handle, if there is no problem I don't mess :)

Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

You may find the above link useful. I check mine visually at the weekly weigh in, I have once or twice removed a build up of smegma with a cotton wool bud dipped in warm water and once had to remove a sperm rod. I've only ever had one boar with a slight impaction problem. He every occasionally needed a little help to clear the anal sack about every 4 - 6 weeks, he was over 4 when I needed to start this. I have very occasionally had to clean a greese gland but I can't remember the last time I did! I feel the more you clean and interfere the more you need to do it.

Back