Boar bonding with a baby guinea pog

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Our boar Gus is looking for a new friend. He has just recently lost his brother Lando.

Myself and my partner are ready for a New Guinea pig & know that Gus will benefit from having a new buddy.

As of now, we have reserved a baby boar.

How do we go about bonding them?

We have bought a play pen for them both to go in to start the interaction & will buy new hideys for them both.

The new baby is around 8-12 weeks. Gus is 2 1/2. We had no luck with rescues and I know time is of the essence with bereaved pigs so I don’t want to leave it too long for Gus.

Any tips, ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much

In sorry for your loss

You put the two piggies in a neutral territory bonding pen with no hides, just add hay and water. Leave them in the bonding pen for as many hours as necessary.
Once you are sure things are ok, you then move them to the thoroughly cleaned down cage together. It will then take around two weeks for them to fully bond.

Good luck

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Hello everyone.

Our boar Gus is looking for a new friend. He has just recently lost his brother Lando.

Myself and my partner are ready for a New Guinea pig & know that Gus will benefit from having a new buddy.

As of now, we have reserved a baby boar.

How do we go about bonding them?

We have bought a play pen for them both to go in to start the interaction & will buy new hideys for them both.

The new baby is around 8-12 weeks. Gus is 2 1/2. We had no luck with rescues and I know time is of the essence with bereaved pigs so I don’t want to leave it too long for Gus.

Any tips, ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much

Hi

Please take the time to read the chapters boar bonding and baby bonding in our bonding guide (with videos). You should it find very helpful.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back