Boar bonding process concerns

holytoledo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have two guinea pigs. The first one I have, the youngest is Lance. Hes not even a year old yet, but is very dominant and somewhat aggressive to anything thats not me. My new boy, Gaston, whos a older pig (hes a bit over 1, possibly 2 judging his nails.) is a much bigger pig, but a very skittish and soft giant. I'm trying to have them bond as it was already apparent whos the dominant.
So, I set up a 3x3 playpen with enough space for them to romp around in, a bowl of carrots and romane, and some hay. Hay was put in the corner, and the bowl was in the middle.
It started off fine, they were sniffing eachother, and then they began going in circles with eachother. Eventually Lance mounted Gaston. Gaston wasnt having any of this and kept running away. He only attempted to somewhat mount Lance once, which was quickly turned around on him. The issue is, is that Gaston definitely wasnt staying around, as he kept running away or bucking Lance off of him. Eventually Gaston began to sit still, only bucking Lance off a few times, but it got to a point where Lance would only try for a few seconds before getting off of Gaston by himself and eating some food before returning, where everytime he did Gaston would start squealing, but not moving or running.
It was honestly a bit painful to watch, as Gaston is a new boy, hes only been here for 4 days. I want them to bond, and it seems like Gaston wont put up a fight, but I dont know how to tell if they're good or not, as its just a repetitive process now of Gaston being humped, Lance getting off him and getting a snack, and then going back to the humping and the squeaking continues from Gaston.
There was some teeth chattering at the start, but at the end the only chattering was from Lance. Am I making any progress with this?

Sounds fine to me! Especially the part about it being painful to watch. It's stressful on us humans too! 💖

Ive only bonded girls. When it was NOT going well, I KNEW. The two pigs faced each other, locking eyes, both lifting one front paw, teeth chattering and then both doing a rhythmic chatter that got louder and more intense till someone made a move and there was fur in one mouth and a small cut on the other's lip.

This happened within minutes of the big pile of hay and greens they had been eating together being finished.

GOOD LUCK! Hang in there! It's tough but so worth it! You know not to separate them as long as it continues ok?

Bonding a teenage boy with a young adult is quite a challenge but so far it sounds like it is still within parameters.

Bonding is always nerve-wracking, especially the first few times until you start getting a feel for how things are going and whether the piggies are vibing or not and whether they are very careful to not cross the line while they establish their leadership and group hierarchy.

More information on guinea pig behaviours in addition to our very helpful step-by-step illustrated bonding guide in an earlier post:
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back