Boar Bonding Issues

PippaC

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here, so apologies if this topic has been done to death but I'm really after some advice, please.

So, I have recently rescued three male boar - around 8mths old - from a lady who was struggling to look after them due to pregnancy. I was told they were firmly bonded so, despite my reservations with 3 boys together! - agreed to take them in. I have had guinea pigs my whole life (including my other two boar who are firmly bonded, 10 yrs and 5 yrs respectively and obviously live separately to the new additions.)

Anyway, they're kept in a 8ft x 4ft enclosure and I have a separate 6ft x 5ft run on my lawn that they have been going on daily. From the moment I had them there has been squabbling that has progressively got worse to the point where blood has been drawn. The smallest pig is 100% the culprit and is absolutely bullying the other two. They have three of everything - food bowls, hay piles, water bottles, 3 hides etc etc, plenty of enrichment and activities, but the behaviour is getting worse. When they are on the lawn they all seem absolutely fine together and often choose to go in the same hide - the behaviour is definitely worse when put back in their C&C set up inside. Also, I would say that they fight most during morning and evening, and then calm down for the rest of the day - so please don't think I'm being ignorant in not separating fully immediately as it is by no means constant.

I spoke to the lady who said that behaviour wasn't exhibited when she had them, but that the smallest one did tend to be the most bold.

My questions are - how likely is it that this behaviour will settle down? Is it possibly attributed to a change of territory/environment that's made this so bad? Should I separate as a precaution? Or is it then less likely that they can be reintroduced? As in, is separation then permanent? I cannot keep them separate indefinitely as I simply don't have the room to duplicate enclosures, especially as I have two other boar as well. Am I right in thinking that neutering is futile in regards to impact on behaviour?

Keen for any advice/suggestions please :)

Thanks so much

Welcome to the forum

I’m sorry to hear this.

I'm afraid boar trios almost never work out, and as blood has been drawn then things will not improve.
Our advice now would sadly be permanent separation. Failed boar trios are sadly very common.
They may have been ok up until this point (they may not and the lady may just have told you they were to offload them), but I’m afraid it was never likely they would have made it to adulthood together as most won’t.

While the change in territory in coming to your home would cause them to reestablish their relationship, that can also be the thing which causes underlying problems to come to the surface. Once a blood drawing fight occurs and they decide they don’t like each other, then it isn’t going to settle down (in fact escalation is probably more likely). This is always a risk but particularly with such an unstable grouping as a boar trio, a teenage trio at that.

You are correct, neutering will not make any difference.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome

Unfortunately, in your case it is a combination of one of the trickiest teenage periods and the need to re-establish the group in their new territory with the necessary dominance sort-out.

In our forum experience, same age teenage boar trios that are not chosen for personality compatibility have a very high fall-out rate in a conventional cage setting; mostly it is two boys against one but occasionally you can end up with three singles; about as much as you end up with a trio making it through teenage together. Once there are fights, then piggies of either gender won't be going back together, unfortunately.

Here is some more additional general boar information, including information on neutering and what it does and what not (curb aggression and any socially crucial dominance behaviour): A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Our Behaviour guide: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Our new owners' practical starter info and how-to tips collection: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back