Boar behaviour

Vickijo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all. I adopted a pair of approximately 1 year old boars from the RSPCA a few weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge they have always lived together. I have gradually got them used to being handled and to their new surrounds. They live in a 2x5 c&c with loft and have a large run in the conservatory, and are interested in my existing chap (4yo housed separately). They seem to be constantly fighting. I have tried everything I can think of and found lots of information on here, but am increasingly concerned about what I can do. I haven't got space to have all three chaps housed individually, but I really want to do what is best for them. Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

Can you please clarify what you mean by fighting? We see people refer to fighting but that isn’t what is actually happening.

Fighting is a full on, ball of rolling around which is likely to cause injury. If that occurs then the bond has failed and immediate and permanent separation must happen. These fights occur when they are not compatible and that won’t change.

If they are showing normal dominance - chasing, rumbling, mounting - then that is not fighting and is as long as it remains within the mild realms, then it is not a problem and not of concern. You don’t do anything.

This kind of behaviour is how they establish and and maintain their relationship lifelong.
This period of dominance is more intense when they move to a new home. They have to establish their bond again in every new environment and This takes around two weeks for them to complete this process.

What you can do is check that all your hides have two exits and that there are multiple of everything in the cage.
We advise that you don’t use food bowls and instead scatter veg and pellets onto the loose hay piles on the cage floor. This not only stops any risk of bickering over food but importantly provides mental stimulation and encourages their natural foraging abilities.
You can also sometimes with some pairs, find that a ramp to a loft can become a problem if the dominant claims it as their own and refuses to let the other use of

Many thanks for the advice. I obviously need to give them longer to settle. It has not yet escalated to full ball of fur fighting but they have started rearing up and chattering their teeth and generally getting in one anothers'faces. I think it is perhaps the volume of noise that has disturbed me most as they sound incredibly distressed. I have two of everything in the cage but will start scattering the pellets and veg over the hay. Thanks again.

Hello that’s great advice you’ve been given ….at that age they’re in their ‘ teenage years ‘and are likely to squabble especially settling into a new home - hopefully that’s all it is ! You’re doing everything right so hopefully it’s just that 🥰
You will know the full on fighting …. it’s horrendous with biting / rolling and injury as well as loud noise
Good luck

Many thanks for the advice. I obviously need to give them longer to settle. It has not yet escalated to full ball of fur fighting but they have started rearing up and chattering their teeth and generally getting in one anothers'faces. I think it is perhaps the volume of noise that has disturbed me most as they sound incredibly distressed. I have two of everything in the cage but will start scattering the pellets and veg over the hay. Thanks again.

If you look at the dominance behaviours guide I linked in, it has a green, orange and red scale.
It will just help you decide the behaviours you are seeing - green is normal dominance.
If tensions are rising into the orange section then you may need to prepare to separate - Rearing up onto back legs and loud chattering are unfortunately warning signs

A pair who have always been together still need to go through the reestablishing in a new environment, but the issue can be that that reestablishing brings underlying issues to the fore which causes tensions to raise.

Fingers crossed they will settle as said they have had a move and will be at their final hormone spike age too but all being well they'll calm down 💙

Back