Boar behaving badly

• Thread starter Thread starter lilsweetpiggies
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lilsweetpiggies

Hi Everyone,
On 10/01 I adopted two boars that was given to the petshop from a lady that no longer wanted them. They seemed like they were happy together.
My children and I was on public transportation therefore we couldn't managed the cage they came in so one of my twin boys came up with the idea of separating the girls cage in half temporarily until we can buy the boys their own cage. So I put in two old stove racks and cable tied them securely. To my knowledge they couldn't get to eachother. They were able to see eachother but couldn't get to one another. One of my boars Bruce Wayne was so determined to get to the girls. He constantly tried to bring down those bars. So after about two days I put cardboard in between the racks so he couldn't see the girls because he and clark had a fight. I figure it was over who was going to be with the girls. So the next morning I go into the room and too my surprise and ultimate shock...there was Bruce on the girls side! I was so shocked! Now I am afraid because I don't know if he got one or both pregnant. I re-reinforced the bars and theres no way he can get over there now. I know I was probably wrong to put them in the same cage to begin with but I really thought that the bars was going to work. I am new to guinea pigs and I didn't know they were that crafty. I am keeping my fingers crossed that no one is preggers but if so I will be buying more C & C cubes while the pregnancy is going because I don't plan on getting rid of none of the babies. Well maybe only two because my cousin who has had piggies before is planning on getting some in the near future. Probably nearer than she thinks.

i've noticed this with my 'foster boys'
when they where next to the girls run Woodruff wold get agitated trying to get at the girls and would pick on Sage
But after moving them away from the girls run problem sorted!
Don't worry about the incident we all learn from these and well done in saying you'll keep them so many just dump and run
just be careful as guineas can reed from young age so sex and seperate and keep girls and boys well apart!
Regards Ron

Thank you for the advice about the early breeding. I am learning more and more each day I am on here. I am going to get the guys a new cage real soon. I would never want to give the babies away because I just don't trust people. I just would be too upset if I gave some away and they ended up not being taken care of. I weighed everyone today and I will keep an eye of the weight of the girls just to see if anyone is gaining. probably would give me an idea if anyone is pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back