• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blossom may have a URI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caviesgalore (EPGPR)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guys just a quick question. I have been out to the shed this morning to find Blossom sounds a bit "crackly". She was not very happy yesterday (no signs of anything brewing) which I put down to PMT. I have some Baytril in stock but just wanted to check the dose. Am I correct in thinking that for a biggish piggy she should be having 0.2ml twice a day? I will get a vet appointment tomorrow (Mon) but just wanted to get her started on some meds, I also need to get some more probiotics - is Bio Lapis still considered to be the pro-biotic of choice for piggies?

Thanks.

Sorry mods, can someone please move this to the health section, for some reason, despite being in the correct place when I made the post it has ended up in for sale/wanted.

Many thanks.

0.2mls of Baytril twice a day is fine,and Bio-Lapis is a good pro-biotic.

Septrin often works better than Baytril for chest infections,but Baytril is better than nothing.

If Blossom stays o.k.in herself this could be an allergic reaction to something rather than an infection.Sudafed(the one for children) is very good for snuffles.The dose is 0.3mls per day.

Thanks Mary. I haven't changed anything in Blossoms cage. They are bedded on newspaper and hay in a large hutch located in a shed. They have P@H pellets, obviously fresh hay, water and grass cut freshly from the garden - same stuff they eat when out in the run. The only thing I have given them over the last day or two is Readygrass which they have had before with no ill effects. Having said that, the stuff does make me quite wheezy when I take it out of the bag (comes in a large sack). Would she seem off colour if it was an allergy? Although she was happy to tuck into her supper she definitely didn't want to be bothered by the others. I have Septrin as well as Baytril, what dose would you suggest for chest problems?

Many thanks for moving my post :)

Septrin 0.4mls per day.

Allergies do not normally affect the eating or behaviour.

I too cough when I open a fresh sack of Readygrass ,but it does not affect the pigs.

There are a lot of things that can cause a reaction---household cleaners, hand cream,perfume,hair spray,air purifiers(sprays are the worst culprit).I am afraid the list is very long.Detective work is often needed to trac e the source.

Thanks for that Mary. I have swapped Bloss over to Septrin this morning. She is obviously not feeling herself as she didn't rush to greet me like she normally does :(. She took the Septrin without a fuss and was happy to be reunited with her friends for their morning fresh grass supply! I put a heat pad in the hutch last yesterday which made a nice snugly corner for her (and some of the others). She is currently snuggled against the pad and the sun is streaming in through the shed doorway.

Thanks again for your input Mary, it's much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back