• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood on blanket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I don't believe it, let Louis and Charlie in their run about two hours and only left them @ 9 o clock...just checking on them there is loads of blood on the blanket - checked both piggies, but no signs of wounds, I wondered if it was coming from one of their bums, and looking at Charlie you can see a bit of blood just in the inside of his bum...just reading on the net and on here, says it could be bladder stones or infection? - he is still eating fine and running around, but there is a lot of blood there all spattered around on the blanket. I'll try and get an appointment at the vets asap. I don't seem to be having much luck with my pets lately, hope he will be OK :(

i hope hes ok, atleast he seems happy though so it may not be bothering him too much at the minute. let us know how you get on with the vets :)

This seems to be happening to loads of pigs on here. :(

Let us know what the vet says. Good luck! Might just be a UTI that baytril might clear?

thanks guy, I hope he will be ok. This is the first time I have noticed this blood, they go in their run everyday, and today I have only noticed this.

I had the same thing with Wilbu; lots of blood & i too thought it was coming from his bottom but on closer inspection from the vet it was his penis - he had a UTI & was given antibiotics which eventually cleared him up but Wilbur wasn't well in himself as Charlie is  :)

Awwww! Poor little Charlie :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Hope Vet sorts him quickly and he soon gets better O0 Keeping fingers and paws crossed for him :-* :smitten:

aww poor wee guy, i hope everything goes okay and hes feeling better soon! :)

rang vets first thing this morning, the earliest they can see us is Saturday morning - I spoke to the vet and she said if he's still running round and eating just fine, it should be OK to leave it till Saturday - but obviously if you get concerned beforehand, will get an emergency appointment.

I checked on Charlie this morning, his poo and wee were fine, absolutely no signs of blood and he didn't make any horrible noises in the night. As the piggies are living in my bedroom at the moment untill I sort the spare bedroom out I can keep a close eye on them especially through the night. Charlie was running round his cage about half six this morning, like they usually do and when I fed him veg, he was eating fine with no problems. So he's deffo not in any pain or anything. I'll just keep a close eye on him now until Saturday morning, but of course if anything before hand I'll get him an emergency appointment...

I am really baffled - both piggies were again fine all night and this morning - not even one sign of blood anywhere - Charlie's got appointment tomorrow, but I am just wondering why the heck that happened and why it hasn't happened since!

I know it may be a silly question 98) but had you given them beetroot? One of my old piggies would rip your hand off for a slice of beetroot and then have red wee for three days! After giving me several heart attacks the Vet finally discovered the problem! (My step-dad went to the Doctor thinking he had prostate cancer last Summer - it was beetroot! ;D ;D ;D)

nah they have never had beetroot before. It was deffo blood, fresh blood...if it was an infection or bladder stones, wouldn't he still be bleeding? thing is will the vet know what it was / is if there is no sign of blood still?

Mmmmmm? It is a bit of a tricky one. I expect the Vet'll be able to find out the problem (or what it was). Good luck O0

well took Charlie to the vets today - she gave him a thorough check over, checked for lumps and bumps, checked his eyes, even checked up Charlies behind, but couldn't see any signs of blood or lumps. She said it could have been something to do with his digestive system and it's passed - I told her what we feed him and was said that was good enough - he's fine in himself, no signs of any blood since, so we just have to keep a watch on him, any signs or blood or he goes off his food, or even his poo turns very hard, we need to take him in. I just hope whatever he had doesn't come back!

well this is my 2nd attempt at replying the other one disappeared off the face of the earth lol.

Hi Iam Trudy I'm new to the group and was just flicking through the different messages when i noticed this one and thought I would enter my experience. I will properly introduce myself and piggies later on the introductions page later.

I found blood also on my guinea pigs blanket also and initially treated it with baytril and metacam for pain relief. and it did clear up but unfortunately returned so I opted for Peter Gurneys suggestions in his "piggy potions" book (a bible I swear by). I gave her a sachet of cystocalm divided into 3 portions and then mixed with 40-50mls of water over 3 days. And 1ml of honey morning and night and one denes denex tablet 2x daily and it cleared up and touch wood as never returned. Cystocalm is a human med from the chemist another brand that can be given is Cystemme.
Also cranberry juice and pearl barley boiled and then the juice cooled can be syringe fed. And then mix the pulses with your guinea's favourite food liquidise and then syringe feed, this helps to reduce the acid in the urine.
If the guinea pig is producing more urine than usual which is common in cases of cystitis it will be loosing potassium so feed banana to replace.
If I can offer anymore advice or quote from my guinea "bible" I will be pleased to help just e mail me on [email protected]. hope this note gets to the group.
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back