• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in urine.

Patpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi looking for some advice. My Williw has been experiencing blood in her urine on and off for 10 days or so. First noticed when timing her nailsso took her straight to the vet. She had an xray, blood sample taken and scan under session which went well. Nothing was found and we were sent home with a course of baytrill and metacam. She had been progressing well until two days post finishing her medication which was yesterday when I first noticed a small patch. Today has seen further more frequent patches and she's booked in tomorrow morning with the vet. Otherwise she's fine eating well, drinking, pooping and generally acting like a loon. Vet thinks it may be a womb infection and is pushing me towards an operation. I am a little nervous and not sure what to do. Attached pics for info. Anyone got any advice.

Attachments

• 20240724_075136.webp
    20240724_075136.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240724_075129.webp
    20240724_075129.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 2
I’m sorry she is still poorly. It’s good she’s got a vet appointment tomorrow. She may need a longer course of antibiotics.

I don't want to race into an op as she's nearly 5. You couldn't tell there was a problem. I normally use fleece and I have swapped to old white bedsheets to monitor her. Do you have any experience of guinea pigs recovering for a big op?

I’d see what the vet says tomorrow. It’s good she’s doing well in herself though. 5 isn’t necessarily too old. Others on here have had older piggies operated on with positive results. Sending healing vibes and hugs to you. ❤️

So back from the vet and we're going to do another round of antibiotics. We're keeping her on metacam which seems to be alleviating the blood. Vet thinks it may be an irritated urinary issue. She is passing sludge periodically. So in a nut shell, watch the diet and keep on the meds. She is still lively and the vet was impressed with her general health. I'm not going to opt to operate unless strictly necessary.

That sounds like a good plan. Hope she’s soon feeling better

Back