• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in urine

amii394

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have recently noticed that my 10 month old male is weeing blood. Yesterday I noticed a few red-ish/brown-ish spots in the cage and I thought it was either the stains from red pepper or strawberry (as he had had both in the days prior). However, minutes ago I witnessed him squeaking softly whilst weeing and there is most definitely blood left on the fleece after he was done. It’s gone midnight now and I am taking him to the vets first thing in the morning, but has anyone else experienced this? A Google search and browsing threads on here suggest that it could be a symptom of a UTI or bladder stones. But he is still eating and drinking normally, and he doesn’t seem to be in any pain when I touch his tummy. I suppose I will know more after the vets visit tomorrow, but as a first time guinea pigs owner it’s quite nerve wracking to experience.

P.S. I have another 12 month old boar who has the same diet and appears to be completely fine, no blood in his urine from what I can tell.

Hi everyone. I have recently noticed that my 10 month old male is weeing blood. Yesterday I noticed a few red-ish/brown-ish spots in the cage and I thought it was either the stains from red pepper or strawberry (as he had had both in the days prior). However, minutes ago I witnessed him squeaking softly whilst weeing and there is most definitely blood left on the fleece after he was done. It’s gone midnight now and I am taking him to the vets first thing in the morning, but has anyone else experienced this? A Google search and browsing threads on here suggest that it could be a symptom of a UTI or bladder stones. But he is still eating and drinking normally, and he doesn’t seem to be in any pain when I touch his tummy. I suppose I will know more after the vets visit tomorrow, but as a first time guinea pigs owner it’s quite nerve wracking to experience.

P.S. I have another 12 month old boar who has the same diet and appears to be completely fine, no blood in his urine from what I can tell.

Hi

Symptoms in the urinary tract are very similar for different issues but they can take several days to consolidate.
Please see a vet during regular opening hours in the coming 5 days.

You are most likely either dealing with a bacterial urine infection (UTI), a non-bacterial infection that affects mainly the glucosamine coating of the urinary tract which prevents highly corrosive urine from coming into contact with raw tissue (sterile interstitial cystitis) or - if you are unlucky - a stone or sludge in the urinary tract. Your vet is likely to work their way down the list from the easiest to the hardest to treat.

Are your piggies outdoors or indoors piggies?

All the best.

Hi

Symptoms in the urinary tract are very similar for different issues but they can take several days to consolidate.
Please see a vet during regular opening hours in the coming 5 days.

You are most likely either dealing with a bacterial urine infection (UTI), a non-bacterial infection that affects mainly the glucosamine coating of the urinary tract which prevents highly corrosive urine from coming into contact with raw tissue (sterile interstitial cystitis) or - if you are unlucky - a stone or sludge in the urinary tract. Your vet is likely to work their way down the list from the easiest to the hardest to treat.

Are your piggies outdoors or indoors piggies?

All the best.
Thank you for your reply!

He has been to the vets this morning and as you said they’ve started at the top of the list and given him meds to treat a UTI. Hopefully they will help and it is just a UTI we’re dealing with.

They’re indoor piggies😊 do you think that tends to make a difference in contracting UTIs or having other issues?

Back