• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in urine

• Thread starter Thread starter xtimeisabulletx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xtimeisabulletx

Hello, I have a Female Guinea pig who just recently started urinating blood(she shows no signs of pain while peeing,No Squeaking or anything)... She is still eating and stuff but she's walking a lil slower than usual...Is this a UTI or something? Oh, and I can't afford to take her to the vet at the moment so i was wondering if i could help her myself at home. Is there anything i could give her to make this go away?​

No, she needs to see a vet. If you can't afford one then you should hand her over to a rescue who will get her treated. Bladderstone ops which is what this may be are £100 and upwards, if its an infection she will need antibiotics until the infection has gone.

Are you in the UK?

Welcome to the board :)

One of my boars had the same symptoms, no squeaking but lots of blood. It took 3 courses of antibiotics to clear him fully as it kept coming back.

Welcome to the forum :)

Hiya,

Sorry to hear about your pig. Maybe take her to the PDSA where you may be entitled to free treatment.

Good luck!

Louise
:)

I agree with the above, she needs to see a vet. If it is a UTI (only a vet can diagnose) then it will need antibiotics. If you take on a pet it's your duty as an owner to take them to the vet if they get ill. Costs need to be thought about before you get an animal, not after.

I don't know about PDSA but I'm sure the RSPCA will only pay a percentage of the cost and any ops have to be done with their vet, so not necessarily the best for your guinea. There are rescues on here that may be able to help you if you want?

What area are you in?,.Is there a Blue Cross surgery near you?,they will treat free of charge for people in genuine need.

Some vets will let you pay the bill monthly.

You really must get the piggy examined because if she has difficulty with mobility she is possibly in pain.This could be something more serious than renal stone/infection.

Okay I have a similar problem so I thought theres no point in making a new topic.

I have 3 female guinea pigs in my care at the moment and on Friday I noticed some red woodshavings just after I'd cleaned them out indicating to me blood in urine. So then I had the problem of finding out which one it was who passed blood so over the past few days I've had them running in my room and watched them each go to the toilet but none of them have passed blood only normal urine.

So can anybody tell me if the urine should continually have blood in it if it is a problem or if it is merely something they ate.

On Friday they ate P@H nuggets, celery and they ate grass and stuff when they were in the run if this helps...

Please help if you can.

Helloooo 'xtimeisabulletx' and welcome! Your piggies look lovely! (Can just about see then in your little picture!) Cant wait to see more pic's of them! :D

I agree with the others - take her to the vet as soon as you can (if possible with a fresh sample of urine). They'll check for infection or calcium crystals (what one of my sows has got at the mo.) Sometimes the vet can find traces of blood even if the wee doesnt look particularly red/brown.

Ive heard of times when wee can look a bit orange if they've had too much carrot 98) but Ive never found this myself.

Get her checked just to be on the safe side O0

Gp-d,

Sows will sometimes when on heat ,pass a red/pink discharge.This is a oneoff and nothing to worry about.As your pigs seem o.k.and there is not one that you have noticed squeeking and straining,I would not worry.Obviously keep a watch.

Ok thankyou so is it every time they go into heat or the first time? Just want to know since she is only 4 months, 3 days, 13 hours and around 20 minutes

Some sows do not have this discharge at all.It does not happen very often and your piggy may not do it again.It can happen at any age.The discharge tends to be a pinky colour.It is nothing to worry about.

That's handy to know Mary, thanks for the info. Karen, the PDSA say if you meet their critera (ie: benefits etc etc) then its free of charge. It's handy to know just incase. I've set up a little fund for my pigs just incase I need it anytime. Insuring them seemed a bit of a waste of money so now my pigs have their own bank account! 98)

Glad to hear this pig is still ok, hopefully it is nothing to worry about, they don't half worry you sometimes!

Louise

maryh said:
Some sows do not have this discharge at all.It does not happen very often and your piggy may not do it again.It can happen at any age.The discharge tends to be a pinky colour.It is nothing to worry about.

Ok well that puts my mind to rest because it is more of a pink than blood red but if it happens again I'll probably take them to the vets...

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
That's handy to know Mary, thanks for the info. Karen, the PDSA say if you meet their critera (ie: benefits etc etc) then its free of charge. It's handy to know just incase. I've set up a little fund for my pigs just incase I need it anytime. Insuring them seemed a bit of a waste of money so now my pigs have their own bank account! 98)

Glad to hear this pig is still ok, hopefully it is nothing to worry about, they don't half worry you sometimes!

Louise

Thanks for the info about PDSA. I know all the RSPCA veterinary payments come from branch funds (not the main organisation) and they have to pay for the RSPCA animals too ::) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back