• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in urine and sticky lump

Lgreen

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

My 3 year old rescue guinea pig has blood in her urine/poo (not sure which). It first appeared last week and only for a day. It then stopped and has started again a week later. It could be down to their diet as I switched them from basil and coriander to kale?

This morning I was doing a check and found a long stringy poo with a lump on the end. The lump is clear/pinky and squishy and has the feel of semi dried pva glue. Anyone seen anything like this before?

iCloud Photos - Apple iCloud

Welcome to the forum

Please do not feed kale regularly - It’s too high in calcium and not suitable for regular or daily use. It is only suitable for one small amount and no more than once a week. Too much oxalate, calcium, nitrates can lead to bladder problems and stone formation.

The safe daily diet is lettuce, cucumber, coriander and bell pepper. They can have one cup of veg per day. Anything other than these veggies needs to be in moderation and rotation.
One tablespoon of pellets per day can be given.
Drinking water should be filtered in the uk as we are a hard water country.
Most calcium comes into the diet via water and pellets filtering water and keeping pellets limited are important.
The bulk of the diet needs to be hay.

Please see a vet for the blood in the urine if it appears again. There are several reasons for it and a vet would need to diagnose the cause.

The mucus in the poop reflects issues with the diet and hay intake.

Please ensure you are carrying out the routine weekly weight checks so that you can monitor sufficient hay intake.

The guides below explain everything further - the severity of poop related issues and what to do about them; the importance of the weight checks and stepping in with recovery feed if weight is lost due to reduction in hay intake; information on the diet and suitable daily food items

Back