• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in my Boars Urine =[

• Thread starter Thread starter xXShannonS2Xx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXShannonS2Xx

About 5 days ago my Boars urin was pink, Yesterday my guinea peed on the white carpet and turned it bright red :S Help! :(

Yep, agree. Vet is a must, he need antibiotics, septrin is best for uti`s. Make sure the vet knows about guinea pigs, a lot of them dont.

Oh yea The boars got mites too. So there alredy on antibiotics...

We have an appointment at the vets tomorrow. I'm scared :S

He shouldnt be on antibitics for mites, he would have had ivermectin (sp?) possibly by injection. Is he eating? If he is very uncomfortable, he may not eat or drink so you will have to help him. Piggies systems shut down very very quickly if food isnt passing through the gut.

When i got the piggys a month ago, one had a crust under its chin the other had one on its nose. It then spread to one of the piggys eye and became an opened wound very bloody and its fur came out around the eye too. The vet gave a dose of drops for the mites on both piggys and some antibiotics, Baytril. We had to go back the following week. They were given another dose for mites and have been given some cream to stop them scratching. The other piggy has some fur coming out and have got the sore near its eye now. They have been on Antibiotics via being advised to put it in their water, we have been doing this for 2 weeks now. The cream has been applied for 2 weeks. The sores are still coming in different places and now one has blood in its urine. Its simply not going away.
We have bought animals that were sick in the first place that we didn't know and are still nursing them.
They are still shaking their heads.
Does anyone know what this could be?
Thankyou....

They are eating really well and are drinking no problem. They are acting as if they are healthy, its baffling.

Ok, did you get them from a petshop? Petshops often sell sick piggies and it is just not on >:(
You definately should not have been giving the piggies their antibiotics in their water, this was incorrect of the vet to advise this. They may not drink all the water and they probably havent been getting the correct dose. The baytril should have been given either by a small syringe (the type you get with babies calpol or nurofen would do) or the tip of the teaspoon or even put on a small piece of cucumber so you can see they have definately taken it.
You will need to get more antibiotics for the urine infection, or it could be cystitis/bladderstones. Septrin is best for UTI`s. Make sure they are drinking enough water to flush their bladder, you can syringe water too.
Once you get them well, keep all your vets bills and go back to the petshop and demand to be compensated. They sold you sick piggies. The main thing is to get them better though. Look at Peter Gurney`s website for more info on syringe feeding and UTI`s.
Let us know how they get on :)

I agree with Lavenderjade but would just like to add that you need to get the piggy x rayed/scanned(no need for aneasthetc) to rule out renal stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back