• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloated piggy! need info!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sophie1307
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sophie1307

Hi i'm not sure what i should be doing to help my pig. She is quite old now and today i have noticed that she is very bloated almost looks like she's pregnant. What is the best thing to do. Please help x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Hi Sophie,

The most common cause of bloat in guinea pigs is intestinal blockage a more rarer cause is gas in the gut. Is your pig off her food and looking uncomfortable?

I find this info online Palpate the stomach and if there is the slightest kind of tightness flick the index finger against the side. If there is a hollow resonance then it is indicative that the problem is air and not fluid. Be certain to differentiate between the two for the treatment for fluid is totally different and if the one is used upon the other it could be fatal. Once you have established that it is air your are dealing with take the following steps immediately. If they are taken early there is a far better chance of success.

Give one tablet Rennie Rapize, crushed and in 2.5ml of water via a syringe. Follow this with one crushed tablet of Buscopan in about 1.5ml water. Leave for about half an hour and then gently massage the sides of the guinea pig, resting it on a towel. Better still if you have access to one of those vibrating pads that are used for people with artritic or circulation problems in human beings, a good twenty minutes settled on it as in photograph should greatly improves the chance of clearing the blockage.

There are a couple of other products that can help if those I have mentioned are not available. Baby gripe water, about three mls, as an alternative to the Rennie, Dentinox collic drops, 1.5 mls instead of liquid paraffin, However, Buscopan, a gut relaxant and analgesic is a vital item in any G.P. medicine cabinet for it can be used with good effect on several other ailments.

You could also ask your vet for advice too.

Good luck!

Louise
x

Get her to a vet asap as bloat is very painful and serious.
If you have any Burp or Infacol,or anything similar in the house,give her 1 ml and massage the sides of her tummy.
There are 2 causes of bloat,gas or fluid build up.If it is the latter she will need a diuretic.It is imperative to distinguish between the 2 which a vet will be able to do.

Ok thanks. i'm gonna keep a very close eye on her and separate her from the other pigs. Would it be effecting her going to the toliet. She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of being uncomfortable, she's her normal self. Its really weird cos she looks pregnant but on both sided it feels quite hard. when she was pregnant you could feel the pouches on the sides but now it's solid and round. I'm so worried!

Do not seperate her from her friends,this will just stress her and make her worse.I realy think you need to see a vet asap.

Only thing is i'm not sure if she is going to the toliet. i can't tell as all the other pigs are there. Is there anything else i can do as i can't get her to a vets now?

Have you given the Infacol/Gripe water? This will make her pass wind, hopefully. You need to get her to a vet (or a vet to you) soon.

How's your piggie today love :-\ :-\
Sending healing wheeks and i do hope she's feeling much better.
Our boy had a rumbly tummy for nearly a week and i daily dosed him with Infacol and also did the massage thing as well.
I was advised by another friend to gently 'play the piano' from the rib cage down to the nether regions, this helps them to move the gas, i hope this helps :)

She's great. Still eating, drinking and running around.
Her tummy has definately got smaller and doesn't seem at all tight anymore, just squidgy.

That's good news Sophie. Hope she stays deflated for you! ;D

Found out the problem. I was rubbing her tummy gently and she went to the toilet. Looks like she has minor Diarrhoea.
We had this same problem when she had URI about 3 weeks ago. So ive put her in my room with dry food, hay and water and we are keeping a very close eye on her diet. She's alright though, still running about, eating and wheeking. Her tummy has also got smaller. Is there anything else I can use to help her get better?

Thank you. She is eating loads of hay and dry food. She is also really gulping down the water

Re: Bloated piggy! need info! PICS

Well as I said ^^. Bloat has completely gone and she's back to her usual self. I *think* I know what caused the bloat... I bought a Guinea Pig Wigwam about three weeks ago for the girls cage and they somehow tore the fleece from inside off the sides of the wigwam, pulled it over and chewed a hole in the fabric under the fleece. I think this is how Sue got so bloated from eating it. I have removed the fabric from under the fleece now, so hopefully there won't be any more problems.
Through out the whole bloat process she's been eating, drinking and exercising fine. Anyway here's some pictures of her a few days ago when the bloat started.

A couple of days ago when the bloat began:
Sue1.jpg

Sue2.jpg

Today, the bloat has gone:
Sue3.jpg

She stopped going to the toilet at first and she looked a bit uncomfortable whilst exercising. We gently massaged her stomach and she went to the toilet. We kept on doing this and she got smaller. She now looks like what she did before O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back