Bloated? Piggies Smell More...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukkin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted and my girls Ebony and Ivory are now 9 months old and doing really well. Have a few questions though:
1. I was holding Ivory this morning and it felt like she farted (sorry!) in my hand - is this normal or a sign of bloating? I have read a little about bloating, but don't know what to look for... They have a diet of hay and pellets (obviously) as well as romaine lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and carrot, is this right?
2. I have a hidey for each pig and for a while was putting a piece of fleece blanket into each hidey for them to sleep in/under - does anyone else use "bedding" inside hideys?
3. I also noticed that Ivory had dirty nails on one foot where she had probably walked through a poo - will she clean this herself or is it something I should be doing? If so, do I use a small animal wipe, or bathe her?

They seem to smell this week even though nothing (diet etc) has been changed - could just be me thinking that though.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi you,

In answer to your questions

1. Piggies fart often, if Ivory is pooing and eating and healthy then she probably isn't suffering form bloat.
Diet wise have a read of these Food List http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/ and General Food Overview - http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

2. What are your piggies bedded on?

3. Ah, poo feet meg had this often, but hers would be caked on if will need gently cleaning off. best to wet it and gently rub it off. Sometimes we had to soak Megans but this is because she had a few issues and would have very wet poos from time to time.

Hope that helps :)

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, she seems to be eating and pooing normally and seems otherwise healthy. I have my piggies bedded on fleece, with puppy pads underneath. It is the same type of fleece that I was putting inside their hideys. I took the hidey pieces of fleece out during the warm spell we had recently for fear that they would overheat, and was just wondering if they needed it at all?
It's cage-cleaning day tomorrow anyway, so I will have another look at her feet and clean if need be.

Thanks again!

Hi Madguinealady,

I just give a couple of slices of carrot per pig, is that too much?

Hi, thanks for replying. Yes, she seems to be eating and pooing normally and seems otherwise healthy. I have my piggies bedded on fleece, with puppy pads underneath. It is the same type of fleece that I was putting inside their hideys. I took the hidey pieces of fleece out during the warm spell we had recently for fear that they would overheat, and was just wondering if they needed it at all?
It's cage-cleaning day tomorrow anyway, so I will have another look at her feet and clean if need be.

Thanks again!

I wouldn't worry about putting extra fleece in, they'll be comfy enough. Sounds like they have a lovely home with you :)

Hi all,

My piggy seems to be trumping more frequently of late and I just wanted a bit of reassurance that I'm not doing anything wrong!

She is 5.5yrs old and seems very healthy. She eats and poops normally. I feed her the following in small quantities twice a day:

Pets at home nuggets
Unlimited fresh hay

cucumber
celery
cherry tomato
carrot
occasionally spinach (rare)
occasionally kale (rare)
broccoli (stem and tree)

Earlier she did quite a big fart, and let out a tiny meep - I couldn't be sure if it was in pain, or surprise at the noise she made!

Any hints? Am I doing anything wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back