• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloat?

RT03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Wondering if my piggy has bloat?

Had him out for a cuddle for roughly 30/40 mins and noticed he didn’t do 1 poo (usually he’s pooping within 10 mins!) he also seemed very active climbing running etc which is more than usual. I’ve tried to check for symptoms but other than not pooping and a little bit of gurgling I can’t tie anything up. Doesn’t seem rounded or belly isnt really firm. Might just be overthinking the situation but thought it’s best to check as I can get a vet appointment if needed.

He’s been in the garden a lot this week with the weather being so warm but have got him in at regular intervals to sit on a cool mat so he didn’t overheat I also provide there nuggets while they’re out so they don’t only eat grass.

He hasn’t lost any appetite and seems overall well but it just worried me seeing the possibility of bloat.

I had him out earlier in the day and he did plenty of poops all normal sized and healthy. Like I said might just be overthinking but better to be safe than sorry! Thanks in advance

Mine always seem to eat all of their poops during lap time, is it possible that he has done that?

Mine always seem to eat all of their poops during lap time, is it possible that he has done that?
He does usually eat some but I didn’t see him pull any out or see any which I normally do. Might just be he’d already pooped out a load and I picked him up at the right time haha seems to be eating pellets and hay fine I did syringe him some water as he never drinks much and I’ve cleared of his poop area so I can see by morning if he hasn’t done anything but I’m hoping I’m just overthinking and he’ll be okay. Owned piggy’s since I was 8 now 21 and never had bloat before so it’s all a bit new!

Wondering if my piggy has bloat?

Had him out for a cuddle for roughly 30/40 mins and noticed he didn’t do 1 poo (usually he’s pooping within 10 mins!) he also seemed very active climbing running etc which is more than usual. I’ve tried to check for symptoms but other than not pooping and a little bit of gurgling I can’t tie anything up. Doesn’t seem rounded or belly isnt really firm. Might just be overthinking the situation but thought it’s best to check as I can get a vet appointment if needed.

He’s been in the garden a lot this week with the weather being so warm but have got him in at regular intervals to sit on a cool mat so he didn’t overheat I also provide there nuggets while they’re out so they don’t only eat grass.

He hasn’t lost any appetite and seems overall well but it just worried me seeing the possibility of bloat.

I had him out earlier in the day and he did plenty of poops all normal sized and healthy. Like I said might just be overthinking but better to be safe than sorry! Thanks in advance

Hi

If you have concerns about a tummy upset please take him off any fresh food for a day or two to allow the gut microbiome to settle down. It is possible that your boy could suffer from the after-effects of heat exhaustion, which can impact on the digestive system. Please be aware that the poo output is running about a day behind the food intake.

Switch from the usual once weekly weigh in to weighing daily first thing on your normal kitchen scales in the morning for best day t day comparison. This will give you the necessary feedback whether your boy is eating enough or not and put any worries of yours on a firm basis. We cannot tell you whether you are dealing with just a minor tummy upset or something potentially a bit more serious.
Weight Loss Explained: BMI, Weighing, Poos and Feeding Support

Please also be aware that over three quarters of what guinea pigs eat in a da is hay/grass fibre. Extra pellets are not good. Rather offer hay and make sure that your piggies have access to cool (but not ice cold), drinkable water at all times. Also be aware that putting your piggies out on the grass during the heat of the day is not a good idea; it can be a fatal mistake if they are in the way of a sun heated breeze of 50 C which can kill even in double shade; we have seen first hand cases of that on here.

You will find some interesting and hopefully thought-provoking information on temperatures on the ground outside in this link here: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Thank you. I’ll make sure I start weigh ins in the morning. He always has access to fresh hay and water and I’ve given extra hay tonight. We cannot keep the piggy’s inside during the day as they live in a conservatory which turns into a greenhouse during the hot days. But I can assure you I regularly check on them bring them inside if needed and put them in shaded areas and or on a cool mat. I have experienced heat exhaustion before in a previous piggy so we are very careful about it and always make sure they are safe. Thank you for the links I will read up on them

Back