• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blind Piggy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've just found out that Jasper is at least partially blind in one eye. I've had my suspicions since I got him because he ran into things full tilt if I'd moved them and he hadn't re-explored. He also rumblestrutts weirdly. When he has playtime wth Jack he rumbles at him whilst moving sideways, obviously so he can watch him out of his working eye. had him at the front door today and thought I would see if I could see his pupils and how well they responded to light changes. Well, one pupil showed no response ad the other only slightly changed. Not quite sure what to do, it doesn't seem to cause him any problems but might take him for a vet check just in case. Poor boy.

Take him to the vet.
And my mum told me when a piggies started to go blind keep everything the same as he knows it, because then he will find his way found to the water, food hay etc etc just fine, and he'll recognize your voice when you cuddle him, so he will seem just fine if you keep everything the same for him :) And he be fine and happy :)

yes you need it confirmed and then you can make his lfe easier by doing whats already been suggested keeping things in same place talking to him so he knows its you etc good luck dont worry thoguh even if it is confirmed he will be jsut fine

Does he have a friend he lives with, who can help guide him about. I would strongly also suggest that everything is left in the same place, it can be an idea on putting a small batton of wood along the edge of the front of the cage to help ensure that he does not fall out if you turn your back to get something whilst the cage is open.

I know a girl who's piggie is totally blind and she manages beautifully, her mummy always keeps things the same and if she gets her out for a play she guides her around the area and then she is comfortable with her surroundings. And yes voice contact to let her know it's you. Keep us posted about your little one, all the best at the vets :)

Hi I have a cat who is nearly totally blind and so long as we don't move stuff, he is absolutely fine. He obviously doesn't go out anymore, but isn't too bothered as he is very old now and spends his day sleeping on his chair or upstairs in my sons room. The funny thing is though is that he knows if things are moved. I was mopping the other day and moved the coffee table. He came into the living room and stopped. As soon as I moved the table back, he was absolutely fine. I would def Jaspa checked as Spike takes tablets which has helped his eyesight deteriorating so quickly.

Well I'm going to organise a visit to the vet for him this week. He has got a new friend that I'm in the process of bonding him with. They've recently gone in the same cage and they're getting on really well. It doesn't seem to affect him much but I'm thinking it's a birth defect because he's got a bit of a dodgy back leg as well. We shall see what the vets think. Thanks guys

One of my pigs has cataracts in both eyes but it doesn't bother her in the slightest, as long as she knows I'm there (ie talking) as I approach the cage she's as vocal as the others and very friendly, in fact more so!

my dakota was born completely blind (it was a birth defect he was also slightly brain damaged and sadly he only lived a few months) but he managed fine if i left everything the way he knew it and as suggested i guided him about the play area i would suggest though that when approaching you did start speaking a little before you reached the cage as then he'll know you're coming but rustling a bag will do exactly the same thing as it means food.
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back