Blended foods?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 145660
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 145660

Hi everyone, I have a little piggy who has struggles with eating because he’s partially paralyzed so he cannot fully close his mouth or chew very well sometimes and I’m worried that he’s not getting enough to eat. So, I was wondering if anyone else has done this or thinks it safe to blend up some of his foods to almost like a smoothie/purée/baby food consistency and try to give him that? Of course I will continue to offer his regular foods in a non blended form to help keep his teeth in line😅 but he seems to do well with syringe feeding and he LOVES his critical care (which we give him 4-6 times a day). Any tips/advice/help is appreciated ☺️💗💗

I experment with different textures and sizes of food, to ensure the guinea pig gets as many calories as possible, whilst at the same time they are wearing their teeth as best they can. I also like to give lots of different foods, in whatever way the guinea pig can manage, as a piggy who is eating normally will get lots of different tastes, so I feel that just offering one type of syringe food is very boring and unlikely to stimulate appetite. Therefore, blending food is absolutely fine, which can either be given by syringe or popped onto a plate for the piggy to eat for themselves. I find using a plate or saucer makes eating easier, than putting it in a bowl.

I experment with different textures and sizes of food, to ensure the guinea pig gets as many calories as possible, whilst at the same time they are wearing their teeth as best they can. I also like to give lots of different foods, in whatever way the guinea pig can manage, as a piggy who is eating normally will get lots of different tastes, so I feel that just offering one type of syringe food is very boring and unlikely to stimulate appetite. Therefore, blending food is absolutely fine, which can either be given by syringe or popped onto a plate for the piggy to eat for themselves. I find using a plate or saucer makes eating easier, than putting it in a bowl.
Thank you so much for your advice! I think I’m going to give it a shot to see how Oz likes it☺️

Back