• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bleeding spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentF

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys Fugly has spurs on both his front feet :( they are as short as I can get them, one fell of naturally leaving just a little spur the other I have had to cut down.

This morning there were little bloody paw prints in the cage, when I checked his feet both appear to have been bleeding where the spur is connected to the pad, the spurs are still attached so its not that they have caught and ripped off, not sure why they are bleeding.

I have small animal antiseptic cream and wound powder, which is best to use or would a mix of both used at different times be better.

Any other suggestions gratefully received as I am worried about them getting infected >:(

I would wash it with warm salty watter and apply bepathen (nappy rash cream) the salt will disinfect it and the cream will help soften the spurs and moisturise the feet.
I think GG have a very good product for dry feet to, so might be worth having a look on their site.

Sorry also wanted to add. Not sure what they are kept on at the moment but I would keep any piggy with foot injuries (even small) on vetbed to make sure they are not walking in urine which could cause infection. If you you don't have vetbed towels or fleece will do but will need to be changed very regularly.

Oh poor little baby! It does sound as if the spurs may need to be removed. I do know some experienced people who do this themselves but I would go the Vet myself. Hope you get it sorted O0

when they first developed the vet said that all they could do was cut them back as far as possible which I have done :(

toight OH saw Fugly biting his foot think they are bleeding because of this any ideas how to stop him doing it?

the other problem is it is right on the pad of his foot where the bleeding is, it doesnt appear to be hurting him as he is still running around and popcorning like mad, would just like to sort it for him, as the little guy cant sort it alone

My Jeremy has spurs - Daftscotslass says its Ok to trim them carefully. I got him out to trim them and they had disappeared! Think they had either come off or he had bitten them but there was no blood.. :o

He has another one growing which I will trim carefully.

My alice has somthing on her foot that. Its a tiny hard brown thing next to her pad, is that a spur? it doesnt sem to hurt her at all and i've been keeping an eye on it and it doesnt seem to have grown at all.

They're like a growth of hard brown skin out the piggy's foot. Will find some pics of Jeremy's..

S1030294.jpg

its not so clear as he was wriggling but its that brown think on his tootsie.

Aha. I'll keep an eye on it then. thanks for the info. I was a bit worried because when we first got her she had a lump on her side and the vet couldnt find what it was. He did lots of tests, found nothing and it disapeared on its own! When i saw the brown thing i was praying it would be something harmless and not the dreaded c word. :(

Took Fugly straight to vet when I first saw them, was worried it could be bumblefoot.

I am not worried about the spurs themselves just worried he will get infection if he keeps biting them.

Well done for photo Katie I have hard enough time getting Fugly to stay still so I can see them, let alone trying to photograph them as well ;)

Spurs are straightforward enough to trim - I never let the ones on my two pigs who get them get to any length at all. That way there's no chance of discomfort.

Duke and i send Fugly heaps of healing wheeks and loves to help him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Duke has them too, they seem to be very common :( :( I get the girls to trim them at the vets :)

hey Glynis guess its Monday over there bah

how is little Dukey doing today we are sending him so much love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I have posted new picture of Fugly sleeping under the sleeping pigs section in the gallery, if you want so see him. O0

Hi all just to let you know Fuglys spurs have stopped bleeding and have healed although he does now appear to have 2 growing in different directions on one foot.

He was very good and let me cut them yesterday :) :) :)

Hi Glynis I cant see it either was there the other day think it might be because photobucket is not working at mo >:( >:(

He is on pages 2 and 3 anyway when it decides to work hopefully you will see him soon :smitten:

Hi love yep i know those piccies, oh well hopefully when photobucket decides to work again you can upload some more piccies :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

just resurrecting this thread a bit. i just discovered munchie has spurs on both front paws :-\ theyre like two black hard pieces of skin on the bottom of his front paws that are sticking out of the side of his paws

i feel so sorry for him, with everything else he is going through :-\

but I'm too scared to trim them, as he's bad enough to clip claws, he squirms so much, I'm so scared of slipping.

would vets clip spurs down for me?

Hi Lez I am sure the vet would do it for you if you are really scared :)

What I did with Fugly was distract him with food and then just cut a little bit at a time not to close to the skin, just like cutting nails hold the paw firmly and just nibble away at them.

Spurs dont actually hurt they just look ugly and if they get too long could get caught (or as Fugly did the piggy might pull them and cause them to bleed)

If they are not long enough to get caught you could leave them as one of Fuglys disappeared of its own accord.

Good luck ;)

Big hugs to Munchie (think I may have missed a post what else is wrong with Munchie?)

i think I'm mainly worried in case its not spurs, as ive never seen one properly before ::) and dont want to chop it off if its his proper skin. but i did compare t the other piggies in our house and they dont have it. they have gotten quite long, if i leave them any longer they will e curling up his foot, so i should get them sorted :(

(his other problem is bald patches, but theres another thread on that)

sounds like spurs to me, but if you are unsure you can get vet to confirm it and ask them to show you how to trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back