bladder stones treatment options

Martha13

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I have my guinea pig with a stone for the second time this year. The first one dissolved we don't know why. Now he's again under treatment with antibiotics and pain killer. Any ideas on what's the best treatment for this condition?

Hi! I have my guinea pig with a stone for the second time this year. The first one dissolved we don't know why. Now he's again under treatment with antibiotics and pain killer. Any ideas on what's the best treatment for this condition?

Hi

Please review your diet, from filtering water and managing your pellets (even no added calcium pellets contain a lot more calcium weight per weight than any veg; these are the two food groups where most calcium comes into the diet unless you have your veg offering grossly overladen with calcium.
It is quite a complex field as you want to cut out vet high in oxalates, which can contribute to the formation of stones and you want to hit the soft spot in the diet between it being too high or too low in calcium.

Please also accept that diet is our only - slow - way of making a change but the calcium absorption process is very complex and that we can to nothing about a genetic disposition, something going wrong in the absorption process and pretty little about bad natural drinkers (which if often but not always another contributing factor). It often is a combination of several risk factors that leads to stones whereas the companions don't have any problems.

Please take the time to read our diet guide because it is your best option for the long term: Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Thank you for your answer.
My piggy is a great drinker, he has now 3 bottles full of fresh filtered water every day. We give him Timothy hay, green lettuce, small amount of pellets and the urinary support pellets which we give ½ /day.
Every visit to the vet is $400/$500 without any long term treatment, just XR, antibiotics, pain killer and another check up (another $450..) the following week...

Back