• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder stone x arthritis

PiggyTeds

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 5 year old guinea pig Teddy has just been diagnosed with arthritis and a large bladder stone. Last week he started with blood in his urine and squeaking in pain everytime he urinated, i took him to the vets where they did an xray and found a large bladder stone but also discovered he has quite severe arthritis. They gave a 7 day course of baytril for the urinary issues but said they would not do surgery due to his age and arthritis.The antibiotics made no difference so i again went to the vets where they decided it was the arthritis causing the pain and would be better to put him on long term course of meloxidyl to ease this. This seems to also be making no difference to his discomfort so i rang the vet who have just had me in tears, they basically said its pain management or euthanasia. I'm heartbroken, i know he’s in pain but i also know my piggy and i think the arthritis is a secondary condition right now, he’s happy, eating and drinking still running around the living room every day. Has anyone else had an experience of vets basically refusing to treat a bladder stone? i understand the risks of surgery at his age but i know its the stone causing his pain. I’m completely lost with what to do, i cant put my happy pig to sleep.

I am very sorry that your piggy has a bladder stone. I don’t have personal experience but many members on here have had surgery on their 5 plus year old pigs. Yes, there is a higher risk the older piggies get but it is definitely not unheard of.

Could you try another vet? Sadly, the only way he will be pain free is if the stone comes out via surgery

Back