• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder stone - contemplating surgery

velveteenery

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, dear guinea pig forum community,

My sweet Sassafras (Sassy) went into the vet this morning after I could tell she was in pain and was reluctant with her veggies (big red flag!). She was diagnosed with bloat and her Xrays also showed mineralization (I think is the right word?) in her bladder as well as a bladder stone. I will try to post a pic of the xray when they send it to me.

My first order of business is supporting her through bloat. I went through this with Rosemary back in July (and this community was so supportive and helpful! Rosemary by the way is doing fabulously!). Sassy is on metacam (increased dose- she's on it at .17 mL regularly for arthritis), metoclopramide, simethicone. I am also administering critical care once every 1-2 hours right now. She's pooping and peeing and nibbling on some hay and drinking here and there, and definitely seems in less pain.

I would love some support from folks on the bladder stones and considerations on this. Sassy is at least 4, we think (got her from a rescue so they're not sure). I don't know how risky a surgery would be to remove the stone. Does anyone have a sense of the prognosis of how often the procedure is successful for these little ones? Or other things that can help with bladder stones?

I would love any input. I took a look at the practical and sensitive guide to dying, which was very helpful. I don't know a lot about bladder stones, so maybe just needing some info to inform my mental calculus of if it's worth the risk for my Sassy girl. Attaching a picture of her 💜

Thank you guinea pig sages 🥹

Attachments

• IMG_0791.webp
    IMG_0791.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 1
I’m sorry to hear this.

First, regarding the bloat, make sure you are weighing her each morning so you can monitor her syringe feed intake and keep her weight stable.

What dose is metacam is she on? The boar and the stone will be painful so it needs to be a decent sized dose.
How many times a day? Pain meds should be twice a day for piggies due to their fast metabolism

We actually don’t recommend simethicone as it gather gas into a big bubble which is fine for human babies to pass but can actually make things worse for piggies.

The stone. It all rather depends on the experience of the vet, sassy’s general health, and the size of the stone. Often the only way out for a stone, particularity if it is a big one, is with surgery. The prognosis is rather a conversation for you to have with your vet in your specific circumstances. You will find many threads on stone surgery if you run a forum search.

There is nothing that can be done to help with existing stones - quite simply, they have to come out either by being tiny and then able to pass in a sow or via surgery.

It would be a good idea to review her diet. While nothing can be done for an existing stone, a diet which has the calcium and oxalate intake balance wrong will result in sludge and stone formation. There is also a genetic element though which obviously you can do nothing about.
Make sure pellets are kept limited to one tablespoon per pig per day a water is filtered. Also make sure high calcium and oxalate veg is not fed or not fed frequently (no more than once a week) - things such as kale, spinach, parsley.

The guides below will help with further information

Back