• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've just had to take Buffy to the vets.

Although I have often wondered about her quietly wheeking when she was weeing, last night she seemed so uncomfortable and quiet and had her bum right in the air when she was trying to wee/poo.

The vet checked her over and after he had groped her sufficiently it seems he bladder was really sensitive. He gave her 2 injections (which she hated) and now she is on Baytril in her water.

I have separated her and Spike for a while and just wondered if this is ok. I didn't want Spike drinking antibiotics unneccessarily. They are next to each other so hopefully I won't have any problems putting them together again.

Hi,

First of all ,put your 2 piggies back together.Gps hate to be by themselves and being seperated from Spike will stress Buffy and impede recovery.

Septrin is a far better antibiotic for urinary infections than Baytril,so if there is no improvement in a few days ask your vet to switch over.

Please never put any medication or supplement in drinking water.This is dangerous because you do not know how much,or how little the piggy has drunk.Give the dose,which should be 0.4ml,straight into the mouth via a syringe,.Do not forget to give a probiotic as well.

A vitimin c supplement for a few days will help boost the immune system.

Thanks for your advice Mary.

I really wasn't happy at all with the vet (it's just opened and my mum thought we should give it a try). I will not be going back there as the vet didn't even tell me what he was injecting until I asked and then provided no aftercare instructions until I asked!

I will put them back as soon as I get back from work but also should I continue with the Baytril in the water? She has had an injection of it but it will be difficult being in the water if the pigs are back together.

He told me to not give her veg so it would encourage her to drink more.

As Mary said;

maryh said:
Please never put any medication or supplement in drinking water.This is dangerous because you do not know how much,or how little the piggy has drunk.Give the dose,which should be 0.4ml,straight into the mouth via a syringe,.Do not forget to give a probiotic as well.

A vitimin c supplement for a few days will help boost the immune system.

give her cucumber, carrot, etc maybe not parsley or kale to up her fluid intake but don't stop veggies all together especially if she is eating well

Septrin is definitely the better of the abs for UTI's but most vets won't give it unfortunately. As Mary has already said, you need to give the abs via syringe 0.4ml daily with probiotics to stop tummy upsets caused by abs. Putting in the water is a waste of time, unfortunately vets favour this method though :(

Where are you based? someone might be able to point you to a cavysavy vet O0

Good luck with Buffy :)

To be honest this guy has dealt with a lot of guinea pigs but unlike my original vet he was so disinterested. My other vet always makes a fuss of all our animals and offers plenty of advice. I might ring them when I get home and have a quick word.

On a better note something has worked because she doesn't seem to be whimpering any more as she is passing fluid.

Wish I was having as much luck with my piggy. He has had same problem for months. He's been on septrin and baytril, been xrayed once which showed nothing. Going back for yet another xray next week which will probably show nothing but will cost me another £60. It's driving me mental!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back