• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Black bits in nostril

Kay701

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I noticed black bits in the nostrils of one of my piggies, it looks most like tiny bits of dirt. Today I noticed that there seems to be more of it and both piggies have it. Any ideas what's going on? Am pretty sure they don't have access to anything that could be causing it - it doesn't look like pellets, hay or poo and they don't have an outside area. Should I take them to the vets - is this a sign of an infection?

So I noticed black bits in the nostrils of one of my piggies, it looks most like tiny bits of dirt. Today I noticed that there seems to be more of it and both piggies have it. Any ideas what's going on? Am pretty sure they don't have access to anything that could be causing it - it doesn't look like pellets, hay or poo and they don't have an outside area. Should I take them to the vets - is this a sign of an infection?

Hi

Perhaps it could be something in the hay? It is definitely not an infection but something they are sticking their noses into and inhale whatever kind of debris it is. They should sneeze it out again, which is perhaps why you see it when damp particles ad bits of snot cling to the skin of the nostrils and dry on.

I actually took one of my piggies to the vets because I thought they had blood in their nostril and she told me they do produce a brown substance sometimes. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will go away like my piggies did.

Back