Bitten/scratched ear

Qpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Muffin and Skittles just got into a big fight, and Skittles has come away from it with a bleeding ear. We have cleaned it. They are 6 month old sisters and have never fought like this before. I can only think it may be because we had to bath them for the end of their ringworm treatment, and the cage has been completely deep-cleaned, so all smells are gone. We are keeping a close eye on them. Is there anything else I should do?

There's been a lot of grumbling, so separated them for tonight. I really just hope it was the bathing and clean cage that were the problem. Skittles ear looks sore 😢

I’m sorry to hear that.
It’s unusual for sows to end up in this kind of fight. You’ve done right by separating them. Give them a few days and then try a neutral territory reintroduction and see how they feel about each other.

Clean the ear but if it is bad then it would be wise to have a vet check her. Painkillers and antibiotics can sometimes be needed.

I hope she is ok

Hopefully they will go back together when things have settled down. Sending healing vibes to Skittles, I hope her ear heals quickly.

Give them a few days and then try a neutral territory reintroduction and see how they feel about each other.
Muffin is in their c&c while Skittles is in a too-small Ferplast I've borrowed from a neighbour. Unfortunately I haven't got spare panels to separate the c&c. They haven't really had much out of the cage time as they've been happy and had lots of space, they're too small to run riot round the house. How would I go about reintroducing them, just on laps? They have sniffed at each other through the bars, as I've put them side by side.

Skittles is enjoying her hay, and seems ok. I'm still in a bit of shock. It's one thing after another with these pigs.

Muffin is in their c&c while Skittles is in a too-small Ferplast I've borrowed from a neighbour. Unfortunately I haven't got spare panels to separate the c&c. They haven't really had much out of the cage time as they've been happy and had lots of space, they're too small to run riot round the house. How would I go about reintroducing them, just on laps? They have sniffed at each other through the bars, as I've put them side by side.

Skittles is enjoying her hay, and seems ok. I'm still in a bit of shock. It's one thing after another with these pigs.

It’ll need to be a proper neutral territory reintroduction in a bonding pen. A bath tub can be used if necessary.

It’ll need to be a proper neutral territory reintroduction in a bonding pen. A bath tub can be used if necessary.
Great, we've ordered more c&c grids so Skittles can have more room and in case they don't get on. We have 45cm long grids, so I'm thinking 2x2 is 90cmx90cm, so is that big enough for 1 pig? Hoping it's not necessarily but best to plan. Might need a bigger front room at this rate.

Thanks for all the advice.

It converts to just over 8 square feet so yes it meets (and is just above) minimum for one piggy.

Skittles had 2 nights in the borrowed Ferplast until the new grids arrived today. They are definitely taking over the front room! Her ear is healing, it's scabbed over but I plan to keep them apart until its healed completely, just in case Muffin is over friendly. I really hope it's temporary, but they both seem happy enough for now, although Skittles has been nibbling the bars separating them quite a lot in the last hour she's been moved in. Fingers crossed for us!

Attachments

• 20230718_165145.webp
    20230718_165145.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 6
Skittles had 2 nights in the borrowed Ferplast until the new grids arrived today. They are definitely taking over the front room! Her ear is healing, it's scabbed over but I plan to keep them apart until its healed completely, just in case Muffin is over friendly. I really hope it's temporary, but they both seem happy enough for now, although Skittles has been nibbling the bars separating them quite a lot in the last hour she's been moved in. Fingers crossed for us!

When do you expect to try them back together? I don’t think I would leave it much longer before trying.

When do you expect to try them back together? I don’t think I would leave it much longer before trying.
We have briefly put them together with full supervision, no negative behaviour but Muffin did get very close to Skittles ear - in a friendly way. Muffin did her usual bum sniffing routine and Skittles did her usual ignoring it. There were no obvious signs of upset, but because the fight came out of the blue I'm probably just being over cautious. The difficult question would be how do I trust they will be ok together permanently again. I will keep supervising time together as often as I can.

I work in a school, so only this week to go and then I will be home most of the day, so I could keep a closer eye on them.

We have briefly put them together with full supervision, no negative behaviour but Muffin did get very close to Skittles ear - in a friendly way. Muffin did her usual bum sniffing routine and Skittles did her usual ignoring it. There were no obvious signs of upset, but because the fight came out of the blue I'm probably just being over cautious. The difficult question would be how do I trust they will be ok together permanently again. I will keep supervising time together as often as I can.

I work in a school, so only this week to go and then I will be home most of the day, so I could keep a closer eye on them.

You should not repeatedly put them together and then separate them. It is a one time thing. If you put together and separate it means they don’t rebuild their bond and it can risk causing problems between them. Perhaps at the weekend you have a few hours to put then on neutral territory and see if they will rebond.

You should not repeatedly put them together and then separate them. It is a one time thing. If you put together and separate it means they don’t rebuild their bond and it can risk causing problems between them. Perhaps at the weekend you have a few hours to put then on neutral territory and see if they will rebond.
Thank you for this. Would I be right in assuming that if there were going to be any re-bonding issues, they should occur very quickly? What behaviours should I look out for to indicate trouble? My fear is they might get on fine for a few hours and then I turn my back and it goes badly. I'm such an anxious, overprotective piggy parent!

Thank you for this. Would I be right in assuming that if there were going to be any re-bonding issues, they should occur very quickly? What behaviours should I look out for to indicate trouble? My fear is they might get on fine for a few hours and then I turn my back and it goes badly. I'm such an anxious, overprotective piggy parent!

If there are real problems between them then a fall out will happen quite quickly upon reintroduction.

If there are real problems between them then a fall out will happen quite quickly upon reintroduction.
There is a lot of chasing going on. I know that some of this is dominance, but I can't be sure Skittles is happy. She is running away and there has been lots of unwanted bum sniffing by Muffin - Skittles has weed at her. How can you determine dominance and dislike? Muffin is dominant, but they rarely chased each other to this extent before. They've been in together for over an hour now. I don't know what is right 😕

I scattered the veg as usual and Skittles wasn't as enthusiastic as normal. Muffin wasn't preventing her getting any. I'm worried Skittles is stressed. I don't think she's happy, but I don't want to make the wrong decision.

I separated them again 😢. Skittles was just hiding, when she wasn't being chased, and I hadn't seen her eat hay in a long time. Hope I made the right decision.

Sorry I’ve only just seen your post.
I think you’ve made the right decision. It is normal to spray urine at each other (it is them telling the other piggy to ‘go away’).

Sorry things are not working between them.

Sorry I’ve only just seen your post.
I think you’ve made the right decision. It is normal to spray urine at each other (it is them telling the other piggy to ‘go away’).

Sorry things are not working between them.
Skittles seems much happier, although Muffin was biting at the separating bars a lot last night. I think she just wanted to make up. Is this the end for them, or is it worth giving it another try in the future?

Skittles seems much happier, although Muffin was biting at the separating bars a lot last night. I think she just wanted to make up. Is this the end for them, or is it worth giving it another try in the future?

When it comes to this kind of dysfunctional bond it is always the submissive piggy’s reaction you go by, not the dominant. As Skittles is happier apart then they remain apart, particularly as it was a fight that started this.
Muffin will always be upset by a separation. Biting bars, laying against bars etc are not signs of wanting to make up, they can be territory marking behaviours and nothing more than the want to argue with the other piggy.

Generally once a fight and injuries have occurred, the bond is broken and they will never go back together again sadly. They don’t tend to change their minds about each other.

Bonds In Trouble

When it comes to this kind of dysfunctional bond it is always the submissive piggy’s reaction you go by, not the dominant. As Skittles is happier apart then they remain apart, particularly as it was a fight that started this.
Muffin will always be upset by a separation. Biting bars, laying against bars etc are not signs of wanting to make up, they can be territory marking behaviours and nothing more than the want to argue with the other piggy.

Generally once a fight and injuries have occurred, the bond is broken and they will never go back together again sadly. They don’t tend to change their minds about each other.

Bonds In Trouble
Ahh that's a shame. Are they ok living side by side still? I need to think logistics if this is long term.

Ahh that's a shame. Are they ok living side by side still? I need to think logistics if this is long term.

Side by side is absolutely fine for two piggies who can no longer share space.
Two of my piggies have to life side by side due to a fight and broken bond

Back