biting

• Thread starter Thread starter princess
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princess

hi my guinea pigs dont bite often however when we clipped mollys nails lastnight she bit my partner 3 times,we even tried distracting her with food.she still went for him.the same happens when i brush her which i have to do as she has long hair.has anyone got any suggestions as to how i can make it less stressful for her?

Do you know if she has had her quick hit before? If so, then it could be post traumatic stress and memories of the pain and she wants to prevent it. If not, she may just not like it.

I would suggest that you wrap her up in a towel when you are cutting her nails with one person holding her and the other doing the trimming. Have a back foot stick out of the back but still coddle and love her up. When doing her front nails try the same concept but have a bit of the towel (or even another small towel) between her and the foot you are cutting. Once again, make sure she's as comfortable as possible. That way, she shouldn't really feel it nor will she see it, so she shouldn't mind.

You should try to be proactive with her hair. Cut it so that it doesn't mat easily (you don't have to shave her, just cut it a little bit). And don't worry, it will grow back. Brush her as often as you can so that it's smooth and you don't have to brush through snarls. If there's no snarls or mats, then to her it pretty much just feels like she's being petted. If there is a large snarl or mat that is very difficult to get out, then you can just cut it out.

Hopefully that will help!
Kimmie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back