Biting...

• Thread starter Thread starter bandl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bandl

Why does my piggie bite me when we pick her up to play? Each time it gets increasingly harder. I read you're not supposed to yell at a pig, but what do I do?

Ignore it? My sow does this all the time... when i am laying with her she bites my neck and almost peirces the skin :o and when i go to put her in her cage she bites my fingers and scratches like she is going to burrow in my hand ;D Never yell at you piggie... they have very sensitive ears so yeah... all i can suggest is ignoring it ?

Is it only when you are actually lifting her or is it when she is on your lap as well? It may be that she doesn't like the way you are holding her - could you try picking her and holding her differently? Offering food whilst she is sat on your lap will help her realise that being held is not a bad thing. You can't punish her in anyway because if you do, she is unlikely to understand why and will just end up being wary of you which would make the problem worse.

Sorry can't offer much advice - I have never been bitten by a piggy before...... yet!

Yelling won't really do anything, but scare her and make her more likely to bite you :D

I agree with beaney, it must be the way you are picking her up/holding her. Do you support her bum when you lift her? it's best to scoop the back end up with one hand, and have your other hand under her chest. When you are carrying her, keep her close to your body and well supported, so it's not a scary theme park ride for her hehe.

What sort of thing do you do when you get her out? maybe it's something that stresses her. Does she have a friend? they often become more confident when they have someone to talk to etc :)

Clover nibbles me quite hard as i'm approaching her cage with her, she's just saying 'for gawds sake woman put me down!' i think lol

I hold her the right way.

She nibbles when we're watching tv too. last night she was on my chest and crawled behind my head and bit my ear.

She may want the loo or is just a bit frightened and it's her way of saying put me back where I know it's safe.

Just say no, not loud enough to frighten her, but stern enough to know that she has done wrong

yer... when i hold cindy and were near her cage she bites by hands and scratches me as if she desperatly wants to get back to her cage ;D

Sully bit me once only cause i rubbed his butt and he hated it >:( so he nipped me i screamed OUCH and he just froze, i felt so guilty that i'd yelled. I never yelled at him ever again and he did do it a couple more times usually if he was eager to get into his cage, i just ignored it or said no softly but firmly. Their cage is their domain and they feel so secure in them so you can understand why they're desperate to get to it, and lets face it that's where their yummies are :)

If they do nip me i just say ! ow! kinda loudly then i get licked better as if they know what theyve done and are saying sorry,not that any of them do nip,Angels babies are doing a bit at the mo but its more playful,and why is it theyre mega hyper and popcorning all over the place at 5am in the morning,lol
i wish i felt like that :-\

It's like she shakes and stands still when we have her out of the cage. We put the piggies on the bed, then lay down with them so we're at their level. After about 5-10 minutes of sitting in front of Gitsie, she'll start licking my nose.

What does nose licking mean? My other one does it too.

I think theyre just being loving and its so sweet when they do that, it makes me feel like theyre bonding with us

Cindy kisses me all the time... my fingers my hands and my nose but after a while of licking she starts chewing ;D I think its a bonding thing too :)

I have a biter! Emily is just over 1 now. She loves nose rubs and tickles between the ears - infact she gets so blissed out that she closes her eyes! But when it comes to picking her up - forget it! She just likes to nibble - sometimes it is hard but I just ignore it as best I can and position my hands in a way that she can't get to them.
I do have a suspision that her biting may have started when she had a tiny knot of hair between her back leg & tummy which I had missed & when she was picked up it must have pulled & now she has associated being picked up with biting. I am aware of the problem zone with her now so check out for offending knots regularly.
So back to the topic - every pig is different maybe try a period of not picking up to see if this breaks the pattern.

my boys nibble all the time, i've only been bitten once but it never broke the skin :)
i think sometimes they just nibble you to say "oi, put me back" & don't realise it hurts
let out a little scream so they know they've hurt you
don't worry about their ears, they wheek louder than any human could scream ;)

When Cornelia is really worked up, she'll squeal like a mad woman and do her best to nip anyone in her radius.

Alexandra said:
When Cornelia is really worked up, she'll squeal like a mad woman and do her best to nip anyone in her radius.
LMFAO i bet thats kinda funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back