Biting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammy.Hamms

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! My guinea pig Hammy LOVES to be snuggled with, but there's only one thing... she likes to bite.
Every time I pick her up to carry her, I always support her front AND back legs, using two hands, and she leans over, and bites my fingers, that are supporting her front legs. I now put her in a snuggle sack and carry her around that way, but on the occasion, when she is in her playpen, one of my siblings will let the dog in, so I have to quickly pick her up, but she always bites me super hard, so I want to drop her (but I don't).
She didn't bite before! She started biting about a month ago.
She also bites whenever I'm petting her. She thinks my fingers are food.
I give her plenty of hay, and chew toys, so thats not the problem.
I know you cant dicipline your guinea pigs, because they don't understand. Is there anything I can do to teach her to stop biting?

Thank You So Much!!

When I first got our piggies, George used to bite my hand whenever I picked him up. I soon realised that he only liked to be picked up when he was sitting in a nest or box. Once I had lifted the nest out of the cage, I could then reach into the nest and pick him up from there no problem. Once I realised this, I never reached into the cage to pick him up again, and he never bit me again. I think he was the one training me! To make him go in the nest or pet carrier, I just blocked off part of the cage and he would soon go in it.

Does your cage have a lid? If so, the piggies would be in less immediate danger from the dog suddenly coming in. You still obviously couldn't leave them unattended with them. I made one out of c&c grids tied with cable ties and strengthened with connectors and clipped it on top using crocodile clips, to protect ours from the neighbour's cat who kept wandering in.

Lily also nibbles at my fingers if I'm carrying her at times. I take it as a sign that she wants to get down. It's not an angry or fearful bite like George's was, more slightly impatient!

Ah sorry just realised it's the playpen that doesn't have a lid, I guess that's trickier to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back