Biting one day, loving the next? I'm so confused?

Mama Squeak

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has any insight. My most loving guinea pig Biscuit (Female 1 year 4 months) has always been loving to me, sitting on my lap, eating carrot, going to sleep on me, giving me piggy kisses on my hands and face when she it out. Suddenly, after about 20 mins she has taken to starting to burrow inside my clothes, and nippy biting me and pulling at my clothes. Then the next time I get her out she is back to her normal self. Then the next time, burrowing and biting. The next time loving, kissing and lying on me for ages. I get her out every 3 days (I have two more piggies - and they all come out one day in a row). I don't understand the change in behaviour, if it was constant I would assume she doesn't like coming out anymore but it is not constant. The only changes made are that we added a new piggie about a month ago, but they are all happy together and get on? Not sure what to do with her for the best. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks xxxxx

Have you considered whether she is trying to tell you when she has had enough and wants to go to the toilet? How guinea pigs try to communicate that varies individually but Biscuit's behaviour is pretty common for that situation; as is the time frame.

Wondering if anybody has any insight. My most loving guinea pig Biscuit (Female 1 year 4 months) has always been loving to me, sitting on my lap, eating carrot, going to sleep on me, giving me piggy kisses on my hands and face when she it out. Suddenly, after about 20 mins she has taken to starting to burrow inside my clothes, and nippy biting me and pulling at my clothes. Then the next time I get her out she is back to her normal self. Then the next time, burrowing and biting. The next time loving, kissing and lying on me for ages. I get her out every 3 days (I have two more piggies - and they all come out one day in a row). I don't understand the change in behaviour, if it was constant I would assume she doesn't like coming out anymore but it is not constant. The only changes made are that we added a new piggie about a month ago, but they are all happy together and get on? Not sure what to do with her for the best. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks xxxxx
she might be trying to tell you something, your doing nothing wrong, guinea pigs act in different ways a lot, its normal, dont be fussed😀

Pulling at clothes is something our boys do when they are grumpy or not in the mood to be taken out. Do you just take out one pig at a time? Ours tend to be much happier if they are both out at once, if one is left in the cage then the other tends to want to go back home very quickly.

Also, about 20 minutes is the limit for handling for some pigs, as they start to need a pee and don't want to pee on you. Ours have no such compunction, they just let fly, but most other pigs I've had were more polite and would start to ask to be put back in the cage when they needed a pee.

So it may just be as simple as she is getting older and can't hold it for as long as she used to. I can sympathise with this myself!

Back