bite

Lunapxggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In my 9 years of owning guinea pigs i have never been fully bit by one before . Today i was trying to clean my new pigs fur (she’s a very long haired one and the vet told me i should do it around her poop area because pee and poo was getting stuck to her fur. I tried to get her from the cage and she fully bit my hand and drew blood and I am a hypochondriac and need to make sure that one it’s not a very bad bite and also i don’t know if the bite was just a response to being picked up when she didn’t want to or if she has agression problems i’ve never had a problem with her like that before in the past few weeks.

Attachments

• 08736916-1655-4E2B-8262-18790C3DAB0A.webp
    08736916-1655-4E2B-8262-18790C3DAB0A.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 7
Being picked up by hand cuts very close to their prey instinct. So it may be she was caught unawares and her defense was to bite.
Make sure to clean your wound carefully and keep an eye on it. Hope you are both okay.

Being picked up by hand cuts very close to their prey instinct. So it may be she was caught unawares and her defense was to bite.
Make sure to clean your wound carefully and keep an eye on it. Hope you are both okay.
thank you so much

I can understand worrying about being bitten, I was very worried when I got bitten once before too as they can go infected, but I was completely fine.
Give it a clean and just keep an eye on it, you can look out for things such as swelling and redness but I really would not obsess over it.

It definitely sounds like a defense bite, you may find this guide nice to read through - " Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

In my 9 years of owning guinea pigs i have never been fully bit by one before . Today i was trying to clean my new pigs fur (she’s a very long haired one and the vet told me i should do it around her poop area because pee and poo was getting stuck to her fur. I tried to get her from the cage and she fully bit my hand and drew blood and I am a hypochondriac and need to make sure that one it’s not a very bad bite and also i don’t know if the bite was just a response to being picked up when she didn’t want to or if she has agression problems i’ve never had a problem with her like that before in the past few weeks.

Hi

I am very sorry.

A sudden deep bite is always a defence bite from a piggy that is already on edge and usually reacting instinctively to a sudden movement. Even most fighting bites from boars are rooted in fear and not in aggression.
" Biting" And What You Can Do (Biting, Tweaking, Nibbling and Nipping)

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

Please disinfect the bite. See a doctor for an antibiotic if it shows signs of infection (swelling and hot to the touch). Piggies always have some gunk in their mouths but take heart - by far not every bite will go bad. None of mine ever has, not a couple of deep childhood bites or all the skin breaking tweaks or scratches of the last two decades.

Back