Bit concerned over PAH meadow hay. Is it ok?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I was kindly gifted a PAH gift card for my birthday from my friend. I decided to buy some hay with it and the money I’ve saved on hay, I’ve put towards a cat kennel for Harrison. Anyway, as my girls don’t like Timothy hay, I didn’t buy the Timothy / meadow mix and chose the plain meadow instead. It’s very soft and the girls seem to be enjoying it put it’s also quite short strands and I’m worried about it getting in their eyes 😞 does anyone else use this hay and find it’s ok? I’m sure I’m worrying over nothing but I have 4 bags of it to get through. I’ve used PAH home hay before but it was quite some time ago and I can’t remember what it was like x

As long as it smells fresh and is nice hay then it is absolutely fine.
Shoer strands obviously aren’t great for snuggling into, but it’s not a problem. I buy bales from a farm and they are all different each time.

As long as it smells fresh and is nice hay then it is absolutely fine.
Shoer strands obviously aren’t great for snuggling into, but it’s not a problem. I buy bales from a farm and they are all different each time.

Thank you. The piggies are indoors so don’t really snuggle in the hay. Yes, it smells fresh and seems to be nice hay x

I don't have any experience of hay poke but from what I've read on here, short or long hay - piggies who want a hay poke will find a way. It's not ideal but not a done deal either. Mine have been fine whenever we've had a batch of shorter stems, like our last batch of PaH hay was 🙂

I don't have any experience of hay poke but from what I've read on here, short or long hay - piggies who want a hay poke will find a way. It's not ideal but not a done deal either. Mine have been fine whenever we've had a batch of shorter stems, like our last batch of PaH hay was 🙂

Thank you. I’ve had 3 lots of grass seeds stuck in eyes this year which required the vet to remove them and antibiotic eye drops / corneal repair gel prescribed so I’ve had my fair share so was just worried about the shorter strands but I’m glad you’ve had no issues with PAH hay as I’ve heard mixed things 🙂 x

I use PAH hay and I alternate between Timothy and Meadow Hay. My two aren't fussy and seem to love both. Biscuit did manage to scratch her eye recently but that was when I was giving them Timothy hay, I've never had any issues with the meadow hay.

I use PAH hay and I alternate between Timothy and Meadow Hay. My two aren't fussy and seem to love both. Biscuit did manage to scratch her eye recently but that was when I was giving them Timothy hay, I've never had any issues with the meadow hay.

Thank you. That’s reassuring to know. I hope. Biscuit is ok now ❤️ x

Back