• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bio Lapis and do i separate? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
To summarise, two of my pigs have had conjunctivitis and URI's. I've just got back from the vets and they said that Ralfie still needs antibiotics and drops because he has an eye ulcer and his URI hasnt cleared completely yet. He said Sephy needed another couple of days to be safe but she looks a lot better than Ralfie so he said i need to separate them because it would mean keeping Sephy on antibiotics for longer than nessasary to prevent her catching them from him again, also because she keeps cleaning the drops off his eyes so he's taking longer to get better. He also said i should move Ralfie away from the other girls' (bumble and bee's) cage because he could give it to them through sneezing if he hasnt already. I have enough grids to make Ralfie a separate cage but he would still be in the same room as the others, I'm also worried that him and Sephy wouldnt get on if i separated then went to put them back together :( Ralfie is 2 and Sephy is about 9 weeks. Obviously i want whats best for them all but should i separate him? My other question is about bio-lapis, i was told to give them it in their water but they're not big drinkers, can i syringe it and if so how much and how often? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Love emma xxxxx

Hi,

My piggy Sweep is also wading his way through a course of Bio Lapis and isn't a big drinker so I have been syringing it, and been taking it without problems, in fact he loves it and spends ages pulling on his syringe trying to get some more. I am unsure how much at at a time that yu can give them but he had just polished off 7.5mls via a 2.5ml syringe.

Hope this helps and I hope your piggies soon feeling better

Thanks Tommies mam, I'm feeling a bit up the wall with them at the moment! Just wish they could all go a week without someone being ill :(

It's such hard when they are ill, it's not so much the extra care that they need but rather the extra worry and concern that comes with it.

Oh poor you Emma :'(
I think you make the bio lapis up as directed in a jug and syringe it over the course of the day.
I don`t think it should be too much of a problem seperating them as it`s a sow/boar, at least it`s not 2 boars, that would be trickier.
Poor piggies :(

Hi everyone, i've put big sheets of cardboard with cable ties up on the divider separating Bumble and Bee from the other two. I will have to half the cage for Ralfie and Sephy and let her have a bit of downstairs and all of the upstairs and let Rlfie have most of the downstairs because he doesnt really go up the ramp. :( i feel so mean separating them, they're sitting there eating together now, they're not a couple who just get on and have their own space like the girls, they actually seem to like being together and always talk to eachother and sleep in the same pigloo etc :( but i have to get them better i suppose. Thanks for the advice x

I also meant to ask if anyones had any experience with eye ulcers? Do i just continue with his drops or is there anything else i can do for him? x

aww Emma it never rains it pours , how are you all coping ? love and hugs to all S xx

Hi Sammy, everyone seems a lot better today *touch wood* Ralfie is still not eating much veg so ive got him some orange flavour vit c tablets because he's eating everything else normally. I havnt heard any sneezing today either from anybody. I still havent separated Ralfie and Sephy, i will do when she's nearly finished her course. It seems such a shame because i think Ralfie will be more inclined to stay in his pigloo asleep if her cant see any of the others, he's been so much more lively living with Sephy :( x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back