• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Billiam has diarrhoea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm worried about my little Bill. Last night he did a few sloppy poos so I took away his veg. I'vejust got home from work and it's runnier than before.

I can't think what it could be. I haven't given him anything new.

Also, he never drinks water so should I be giving him water by syringe?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Vickie

You need to get to the vet urgently if it is runny and not just slightly soft. Diarrhoea is not normal at all in guinea pigs. You can syringe him water or plain dioralyte but he MUST get to a vet asap. My friend thought she could wait a few hours to get her piggy's diarrhoea seen to and she didn't last from evening until morning.

Thanks for the advice.

I took him to the vet and she gave him a thorough examination including a thermometer up his bum which he didn't like at all!
She gave him 2 injections, one of which was a gut stimulant so I'm guessing that was metaclopramide. Poor little Bill squealed his head off when the needle went in.

I've been given Baytril to give him at home and Ranitidine solution. As he doesn't drink and I'm not to give him veg for now she said I should syringe some water into him. Anyone know how much (in ml) and how often?

He's eating hay at the moment which is a good sign but I'm worried about what could have set him off in the first place. One possibility is that we've just opened a new bag of Gertie Guinea and he's not at all keen, neither are the two little pigs we recently adopted although they're both fine so far. I think I'll buy a new bag and throw that one away to be on the safe side.

Poor Mister April!

Did your vet give you some probiotic? Baytril is very harsh on the stomach - let alone for a pig who already has diarrhoea. My Sukie once got terrible diarrhoea and griping pains from having Baytril for a UTI, and probiotic sorted it (supplies all the good bacteria that the antibiotic kills). You can get it from Pets at Home, if you're in a hurry to get some and the vet hasn't given you any.

Hope your piggy feels better soon. :)

Hi again - thanks for the healing vibes!

He did a few torpedo poos in the night but not his usual amount. He's taking his meds well but I'm concerned about how little he's eating so I've given him a bit of a veg. I really hope it doesn't set his tummy off again.

I already had some Avipro that I often used with my precious Benny bunny (RIP) so I've been mixing it with water and syringing it into Bill's mouth. He seems to like it.

He's never been poorly before so I'm concerned about my little boy! At least his mummy and daddy are off work to take care of him and wipe his pooey bum when necessary!

Today he seems a bit brighter in himself thanks for asking. We've just bought a big bag of Timothy Hay and he loves it. Unfortunately I stupidly gave him some veg too as I thought the diarrhoea had cleared up but it's back again. Needless to say he's definitely not having any more veg until he is fully recovered and even then it will be in small amounts. Hay and pellets only for now!

Problem is he's getting really grumpy with me as he is sick of taking his meds and water. I just hope he doesn't hate me forever!

His appetite is still good so I'm not so worried as before. I'm presuming the diarrhoea is directly caused by the veg he's eaten rather than there being something more sinister going on inside him.

When Leah and Demon had diarrhoea my vet told me to just feed hay for 24 hours and then re-introduce the pellets but to keep off the veg for a while. Is he drinking plenty?

Glad he seems brighter. I am sure he will be fine. :)

Best wishes to Billiam, hope he feels better soon. His little face looks at me from the calendar when I'm typing at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back