Big Pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

George and Max

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Danni, long time lurker first time poster!
I have two young boys George and Max who are about to turn 4 months old.
Out of interest I weighed them yesterday and was quite shocked. Max is already 916g :yikes: is that not abnormally large? I was under the impression that 1kg was average adult size?
Panicking a bit. They get a handful of nuggets between them twice a day, salad at lunchtime and unlimited Timothy hay.
Please reassure me I don't have a monster pig. Thinking of cutting the nugget ration slightly?

IMG_20170104_070509.webp

Hi Danni! On my goodness your piggie Max is so handsome! I am fairly new to piggies so I can't really offer much advice about size but what you are feeding sounds right to me. We have two sows who are now 9 months old and weigh about 1000g. I do think they have periods where they grow more rapidly, I definitely noticed that with our two. Max looks very healthy - and regal - in that picture!

Beautiful piggy- better hair then me!! Now some breeds are relatively larger then others though- yours appears to be a Peruvian- aren't usually big,big. Teddies,agoutis,rexes and some Americans are usually large.
I feed my agouti mix his muesli in the morning and then at night because I half his amount of food. He has hay constantly and a cup of veges in the morning and again at night so you don't seem to be overfeeding. Does he get time outside and a time to free roam? A bigger pig isnt necessarily a bad thing- my boar was weighed by the vet and she said he wasn't obese but a little bigger then most of the pigs she's seen- he's a big boy :) so I wouldn't worry too much. How much bigger is he compared to your other piggy?

20160819_140639.webp

20160615_180138.webp

Beautiful piggy- better hair then me! Now some breeds are relatively larger then others though- yours appears to be a Peruvian- aren't usually big,big. Teddies,agoutis,rexes and some Americans are usually large.
I feed my agouti mix his muesli in the morning and then at night because I half his amount of food. He has hay constantly and a cup of veges in the morning and again at night so you don't seem to be overfeeding. Does he get time outside and a time to free roam? A bigger pig isnt necessarily a bad thing- my boar was weighed by the vet and she said he wasn't obese but a little bigger then most of the pigs she's seen- he's a big boy :) so I wouldn't worry too much. How much bigger is he compared to your other piggy?

View attachment 57308

View attachment 57309

George was around 700g but he's always been smaller and more petite

20170107_133829.webp

Another gorgeous pig! Looks like u have a handsome pair right there! I wouldn't worry too much they look very healthy! Maybe Maxs awesome locks add some weight haha. :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Piggy weights and sizes do vary tremendously. Just weigh at regular intervals e.g. Once a week, at the same time of day to monitor for any sudden weight gain or weight loss. He looks gorgeous to me. Nothing to worry about at the moment.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wel:.

I have two girl pigs Sven and Elsa. Sven weighs about 1350g and Elsa about 980g and they are two years old. They don't eat pellets at all and have a very limited veg diet due to them having some health problems but their weights have stayed at those figures for some time now. I guess some pigs just weigh a lot more than others so it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

A thread on this forum mentions that pigs weigh from 800-1500g. All my girls were around the 1kg mark. My new one weighed this morning is 1.1kg. But from my limited experience, boars tend to be more "manly" in their bodies anyway. Much more denser, heavier feeling to them when you hold them and sometimes thicker, more wiry coats. Although I've never weighed a boar, I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the heavier end of that range quite often.

ive a mixture of girl piggies and boys.ive a himi boy who is very solid and approx 14 months old,weights 1.7 grams,but he is not overweight and his wives weight 1kg.piggie sizes do vary ! x

A thread on this forum mentions that pigs weigh from 800-1500g. All my girls were around the 1kg mark. My new one weighed this morning is 1.1kg. But from my limited experience, boars tend to be more "manly" in their bodies anyway. Much more denser, heavier feeling to them when you hold them and sometimes thicker, more wiry coats. Although I've never weighed a boar, I wouldn't be surprised if they were on the heavier end of that range quite often.
Thank you thats really helpful :)

Don't panic we have BIG PIG Vimto 1.5kg she is very healthy and actually the most active of all our pigs (her smaller friends) Piggies vary in size and you can feel that they are not fat just a bigger frame

My Molly is mahoosive, too. She weighs around 1.4 - 1.45kg depending on who (sorry, what) she has been eating. She dwarfs Mabel, who is no tiddler herself weighing in at 1200g. She's hugely tall/long and just a great big pig all over. We had to lower the base of the C and C when we got her as she is so tall I feared she would be able to get out of the cage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back