Big fight

RedRobin23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I adopted 2 male 3 year old Guinea pigs 8 days ago. They have a big cage (4X3 C&C) with 2 of everything and all hideys have at least 2 entrances.

Today when I was at work my husband says the Guinea Pigs had a big fight. They were circling each other round the cage and biting. He had to clap loudly to break them up.

He didn’t separate them - he didn’t know he had to. He gave them floor time which they both seemed to enjoy, cleaned their cage out and put them back. Several hours later I’m home and there has been no further arguing.

It doesn’t look like either are injured and no blood was drawn.

Do I need to separate them on that basis?

Also, this may not be relevant at all but he says before the fight he gave them coriander which they haven’t had before. He claims it sent one of the pigs a bit loopy. He was running up and down and gnawing through the coroplast (he has made a big hole in it). Then he started picking on the other one. Could that be a cause?

It depends on how bad the fighting was, things can get tense in boar dominance but if no blood was drawn there is a very high chance things just got a little heated, as you may know once blood is drawn that is when it is classed as a failed bond. But that does not mean that is the only sign/possibility of a failed bond.
The fact they calmed down and it did not go further suggests it was just a dominance quarrel, which can/will happen every now and again but if it happens often (to this extent) then you will want to keep an eye on them as this could be classed as a dysfunctional bond.

No I do not believe that coriander would start a fight, maybe a tug of war while eating it and some begging for more afterwards. Saying that I guess technically the coriander could have got him excited and them caused him to start with his friend, hence the eating of his cage and running up and down.
For now I would just keep an eye on them.

You may find the link to these guides helpful -
Bonds In Trouble
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

An actual fight is very concerning - I would be watching them very very carefully and be prepared to need to separate them. As they have had one fight there is a chance there will be another.
Coriander will not cause it.

I have two youngsters who scuffled, thought it was ok (I didn’t see the scuffle, I only heard it) but they then had a massive fight with injuries and now live side by side.

Yes I am very concerned and think if I had been there I would have separated them at the time. Just unsure now they seem fine. I have ordered more C&C grids that are coming tomorrow in case I do need to separate. I am going to work from home tomorrow so I can be around to keep a close eye.

Yes I am very concerned and think if I had been there I would have separated them at the time. Just unsure now they seem fine. I have ordered more C&C grids that are coming tomorrow in case I do need to separate. I am going to work from home tomorrow so I can be around to keep a close eye.

Sounds like a good plan.
With any luck it was something and nothing and they will be ok together but best to be prepared.

They have been fine today like nothing has happened. Coriander does seem to send littlest pig a bit wild though. He had it again tonight during floor time and again suddenly was running around and looking for things to chew when normally he is much more chilled.

It’s not likely that coriander is causing this behaviour. They have been with you 8 days and it can take up to two weeks to settle into their new home and establish their hierarchy. It may be he’s just a bit too…exuberant in letting his friend know who’s boss. Hopefully he will settle down soon.

I have only ever done one bonding (about to do another soon...). It was two sows and they had a fight. They were rolling around in a ball, screaming at each other, and it was terrifying. It didn't last long and they then spent the next day glowering at each other from opposite corners of the Piggy Palace. No blood was drawn, I checked! After the fight, they rumbled a bit now & again, and didn't look like friends for quite a while, but we all hung on and they did pal up in the end. This is just to say, a fight isn't always a failed bond. It can still work.
Now Kanga has gone I have it all to do again and I am dreading it! Such a stressful thing. However, I know a bit more about it now, so I will be better prepared at least, thanks to the good advice I had on here, and elsewhere.
Maybe your littlest pig just really likes coriander and gets over-excited about it?

My 2 boars like to irritate eachother and will often show their teeth to the other, chatter whilst running after eachother, make sudden movements towards the other yet it’s never turned into a full blown fight. This sounds like the same as your guinea pigs, in which case, i wouldn’t seperate as that can make matters worse. It’s usually just bickering and can happen due to hormones, especially in young guinea pigs. I wouldn’t separate unless blood is drawn or a full blown physical fight happens. The only time I’ve ever separated is when one ripped fur off the other and even then I probably shouldn’t have separated them

Back