Best UK Insurance for Guinea Pigs: Seeking Advice 🐹

fawniemoon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone! 🐹 Currently exploring insurance options for my future guinea pigs. I live in the uk so Any UK residents had negative experiences with vet insurance companies? Is it worth getting insurance? Share your positive experiences with a specific company and reasons why, please! 🇬🇧🤔

I never got insurance (I believe Exotics Direct is the only one which will cover piggies in the UK) as I didn't think it gave enough cover.
I've spent about £5000 on piggy vet bills over 8 years (£3500 in one dreadful week) and would recommend using a vet fund instead. :)

I started with a vet fund but then decided to insure Bert with Exotics Direct after treatment for a tricky and expensive ear infection. I was glad of it when he then got a stubborn abscess in his boy bits which took weeks of antibiotics treatment. ED were prompt to settle the bills but of course neither will be covered when it comes to renewal. For Hutch they applied a whole load of exclusions following a rather zealous check up by a locum who wrote in his notes that his fairly infrequent sneezing ‘could be teeth related’. No cover for oral, mouth or dental! Haven’t decided whether it is worth renewing when his left ear is about the only thing left covered 😂

😊 Is it okay if I inquire about the insurance costs for your two boars and what exactly the coverage includes? I'm genuinely curious about the pricing. And that left ear detail? Hilarious! 🐽😂

Well just like any pet insurance the price depends on the coverage you opt for and any existing health conditions. It covers vets fees up to £2000 for the policy year with a £65 excess. You can get them to give you a quote without any obligation to proceed. It will help you decide whether building a vet fund is more suitable for you and your piggies. Extract below is from their website:

[HEADING=1]How much does small mammal insurance cost?[/HEADING]
Small mammal insurance varies slightly depending on the type of mammal insured.

Based on a guinea pig costing £27.50 to purchase, insurance would cost around £15.36 per month over 10 months or a one off payment of £153.60 covered for £2000 of vet fees. Prices correct as of May 2022.
UNQUOTE

Back