Best Treats?

New Guinea Pig Mummy98

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Are these okay? If so how often should I be giving my piggies them?
Feel a right pain, but I’m new to all this🫣

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    91.5 KB · Views: 12
I'd skip them. There's nothing wrong with them per se, but there's nothing particularly great about them either. Just give a bit of pepper ... or for an extra special treat: a bit of carrot, a bit of fruit, or a pea flake. When I do spring for pet store type treats, I pick ones with grass/hay type ingredients ... similar ingredients to what's in pellets.

The best treat that you can give piggy is a big pile of hay. Piggies love to run through it, hide in it, fall asleep under it, eat their way out of it, make hay nests in it ... the list is endless how much fun, enrichment and entertainment a pile of hay is to a piggy.

Also the other thing that could be considered treats are pellets. Mine don’t get them daily, they get them about three times a week (going to do even less this summer) and even then they have to work for them and try to find them thrown in their hay piles.

Hi, I agree with what's been said. Also I checked the ingredients of those treats and they contain wheat flour and milk, so it's a definite no for piggies. Always read the ingredients, you'll be surprised at how much unsuitable stuff is put in there.

My boys love occasional watermelon, carrot, blueberries, strawberry, and etc in small amount as treats. Fruits and veggies I eat are what I trust and give to my boys.

Fresh herbs can also be a great treat, a lot of guinea pigs go mad for a bit of basil, mint, dill, coriander, parsley.

Lots of lovely quality hay is the best way to treat them. Most if these so called treats tend to be full of sugar

Back