best thing for indoor cages floors!

• Thread starter Thread starter Jennifer1990
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jennifer1990

i was just wondering the best thing for indoor cages as i used to use woodshavings up until i few days ago when i cleaned them out as i was sick of the the constant mess it was making so i decided to use a couple of layers of newspaper and plenty of hay but within a matter of about 2 days i need 2 clean it out again

can anyone recommend the best thing that i can use?

(i just cleaned them out on Saturday)

Hi Jennifer,

I use fleece blankets I got them from Bargain Madness for £1.99 each I've 8 in total and change fully every 2 days, was doing it every day but there was no need to as long as I spot clean. :)

For the dearer option you could go for vet bed or pro fleece.

Louise
x

Like what SAT has said really :)

Vet bed on top of a layer of newspaper would be best. then the piggies don't come into contact with their wee, so more hygienic for them. & is cheaper in the long run as no need to use hay for bedding etc. Also one tip if you do go for the vet bed!, is when you wash it, put it in a pillow case so the bits of hay will not clog up you're washing machine! O0

ED as i personally have only used vet bed!, ooops! :)

i wouldnt buy pro-fleece tbh.. it stinks within hours..whether thats justthe newspaper under it I'm not sure, but my room is very smelly with it, ive put towels under it today to see if thats any better than newspaper.

i have my 2 boys on towels with a polyester (voile) sheet over the top its better than the fleece i find as poop and hay dont stick it to the same so it all brsuhed off easy and just stick it in the wash.. its cheap too :)

thanks

maybe if i use fleece blankets and newspaper do you think that would work?

i dont think so.. but i dont like fleece because its gets messy quickly.. give it a try if your not happy with it just change it again :)

I'm just trying 2 find the best thing just now as some bedding can be expensive to continue buying

Profleece is a funny thing, when I first started to use it everything was fine and then after a few days it really started to smell even after I'd washed it.Recently though I've had to split my piggies up and so meg is in the 2x4 C&C with profleece and bonnie is in the old cage with shavings and hay and since then I've had no problems with the profleece smelling at all.I'm probably going to order more profleece for bonnie if I have to keep them separated.It's definitey worth trying as alot of people love it. O0

Jennifer1990 said:
I'm just trying 2 find the best thing just now as some bedding can be expensive to continue buying

But you would initially only need to buy 2 peaces of vet bed. ie one to wash & wear, as the Vet bed is very hard wearing, so will last you years really! :)

Have a look at the Vet bed thread :)

I bought a large roll of vetbed and use it all the time with newspaper under neath I could give you 4 pieces about 14 inches square (34cms)approx.,if you could email your address or phone number.My email is [email protected].

hi christine that sounds brillant the cage i have is a Nero 3 wood that be big enough?

Newspaper and fleece blankets work for me for the short term until after Christmas when I will be able to get vet bed. If fleece blanket is wet I change it daily but usually my lot just pee on the hay which doesn't go through the blanket so I remove the hay and just replace it.

I get no smell, with all pigs indoors at the mo I couldn't cope with Megazorb or shavings! :D

I use fleece and megazorb for my C&C cage. Megazorb is far less messy and better for your pigs than shavings. You can buy it in 80l sacks at Torwood garden centre in Larbert.

hi thanks I'm going to see about getting profleece maybe but its quite expensive which is a downside :(

hey daftscotlass where are you from ?

Larbert isn't far away from me incase your wondering why i am asking?

Profleece is expensive, but saves you tons on woodshavings pretty quickly! It pays for itself really. I think it needs changing more often than woodshavings, but it is much better for the piggies.

someone mentioned a site on another thread i think it may of been you, it was called thedoginn and for 2 medium sized pieces its just under £40 and i would need spare ones for when I'm cleaning them it will cost me a fortune.

Yep, thats were I got mine. I have a cage with three floors, and each floor is the same size as a nero 3. I bought one piece (I think it was the medium size piece, but may have been large) and that was enough for two floors, so would be enough for two sets for a nero 3, I think. Get your tape measure! Lol!

I agree, it is expensive, but I dont think it is overly expensive, and, as I said, it has saved me an absolute fortune in the long run on shavings and bedding hay.

Not everybody likes it though, so its up to you really. Would you like to see a picture of how nice it looks?

My cage is like three nero 3's on top of each other with ramps. Each floor is roughly the same size as a nero.

IMGP2203.jpg

The top floor, with pink pro-fleece.

IMGP2205.jpg

The middle floor, with green profleece.

IMGP2206.jpg

And the bottom floor, with white profleece.

I also have a boar living on his own in a cage similar to a nero, and he has all the offcuts, almost like fleece tiles! It work well though, as he wee's in one corner, so I can just change that one tile.

is the medium sized 1 big enough and i may have to invest in another cage to seperate some of my boars but just untill it gets warm again so they can go in the garage in their c&c cage and they will have plenty of hidey holes ;D

I would suggest you measure your cage. The measurements of the pieces are on that webiste, so you can work out if one medium bit will be enough.

i will do so 2morrow thanks for your help i will let you know how i get on. O0

Jennifer1990 said:
hi thanks I'm going to see about getting profleece maybe but its quite expensive which is a downside :(

hey daftscotlass where are you from ?

Larbert isn't far away from me incase your wondering why i am asking?

I'm just outside of Stirling. I get lots of my piggy stuff there when I'm not ordering online - they sell the full range of Oxbow stuff as well as Megazorb. It's good stuff!

HI

Our guinea pigs have newspaper and then kitchen roll.

I use shredded paper and hay, as I'm allergic to sawdust.

They like to hide under the paper and hay.

We also put a cover over the cage.

Jaye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back