Best Location For A Guinea Pig? 1 Or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelb

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for a bit of advice, I have wanted to get a guinea pig for years and recently my bearded dragon died (he was almost 11) the reason I put 1 or 2 in the heading (I know it would be terrible to get one so if I am only allowed one I won't get one at all) my reason for location is this, I could place a cage in my hall (where my beardy was) and the piggy would get plenty of attention however due to my mums prejudice of "they'll smell" only 1 would be possible. My other option is we have a decent sized spare room (used as a cupboard) where I could keep 2 however they won't have people walking by? Although I will be giving them plenty of attention. I've read of kids trying to ask their mums etc I am 20 and I am at uni and run my own business (please don't think I am too busy for piggies) I breed fire belly newts, which was not intentional but I love them and the babies are kept in the spare room.My point is I think I am a responsible pet owner I got my beardy at 9 and started helping neighbours with chores at age 10 for money for him which my mum thought was great Anyway I have rambled on I hope you guys have some advice and think I would be a good owner for a piggy

:wel: to the forum !

We recommend wannabe owners have a look at the threads in this link ..

Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners

Are you happy to add your location to your profile ? We have members from all over the world and it is really helpful to know whether you are based in the UK/US – or elsewhere. As you can see, we are a rescue friendly forum - and , having an idea of your Country + location we may be able to recommend a rescue for you.

Here is a link to help you do this …

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

I would say spare room so you can have two, they benefit so much from having a friend.Even if you had one in the hall it would be on its own a lot.

Regarding smell - I think males smell more than females. I don't speak from experience (I've never owned males), but just based on what I've read I think they scent mark a lot more and can generally be somewhat smellier.
I currently have 2 females housed on fleece and they don't smell at all. As long as you change the litter/hay tray daily (which is where mine do 90% of their wees), and spot clean their poos at least once daily (preferably twice daily), they really don't smell.

I would be inclined to go with the hallway for more interaction, but only if you can convince your mom to allow you two there. They really do need a piggy friend with them.

Also make sure you have space for the correct size cage (minimum of 120cm long for 2 females, or 140cm for two males - 140 is also preferred for two females if possible).

Spare room is fine - as long as they're not forgotten, which it doesn't sound like they would be.
Mine live in a shed so do not get constant interaction from hoomans and when they have to stay inside for longer periods (heat in summer and v cold in winter) they live in our spare room.

Thank you so much guys! I'm aiming for 2 short haired piggies as we had a male and female when I was 3 and got really bad asthma but by the sound of things it was by the dust in their bedding and it explains why it maybe smelled because of the male marking his territory thank you again!

Thank you so much guys! I'm aiming for 2 short haired piggies as we had a male and female when I was 3 and got really bad asthma but by the sound of things it was by the dust in their bedding and it explains why it maybe smelled because of the male marking his territory thank you again!

Please ensure you get 2 of the same sex so that they don't breed. Pregnancy and childbirth is extremely risky for guinea pigs and frequently results in the death of the babies and/or mothers.

Will do looking to get 2 females hopefully sisters when I was 3 my mum was told they were 2 females but one tirned out to be a male and they had babies I think this is why she was hesitant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back