Best Living Area?

Dorian's Picture

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! Looking for opinions on my piggies’ “living situation”.

I have two four-year-old boy piggies, Tom and Oliver (you didn’t ask their names, but I volunteered the info anyway 😂). I moved a while back. I used to keep them in my living room, but that was no longer an option after I moved. They now reside in my bedroom (which is about 9x13-ish feet, if that matters). When I moved, I moved into a home with other animals (a cat and two dogs). Because of the other animals, I always keep my door closed (they show no interest, but why risk it?). I’m wondering if this is the best area for the pigs to live, though. They are very happy, but the smell gets very strong even with frequent cleaning (which I’m assuming is neither healthy for them nor me). Plus, floor time is difficult as a) there’s limited space, and b) they do NOT like to be picked up.

I have a well-ventilated garage attached to the house, and I’m wondering if I should move them into that garage? I work from home, and my bedroom doubles as my office, so the pigs are used to me being there beside them eight hours a day. I’m worried that moving them into the garage would be detrimental to their health. I wouldn’t be able to spend as much time with them, which concerns me. I’d still do our daily “clean up time”, which lasts about 30-minutes. I’d also check in on them. Still, it isn’t the same as me being right beside them for eight hours a day. However, they’d have better ventilation and, more than likely, be able to have more floor time. What are your thoughts and opinions on what would be best for the boys? Thanks!

I am in the USA, and due to parking my car inside the garage, vehicle emission is quite strong so I can't put my piggies in the garage. I am pretty sure CO2 won't be good for the piggies. My piggies stay in the living room.

Have you considered raising their living area so other pets can't get to them inside the house?

Hello! Looking for opinions on my piggies’ “living situation”.

I have two four-year-old boy piggies, Tom and Oliver (you didn’t ask their names, but I volunteered the info anyway 😂). I moved a while back. I used to keep them in my living room, but that was no longer an option after I moved. They now reside in my bedroom (which is about 9x13-ish feet, if that matters). When I moved, I moved into a home with other animals (a cat and two dogs). Because of the other animals, I always keep my door closed (they show no interest, but why risk it?). I’m wondering if this is the best area for the pigs to live, though. They are very happy, but the smell gets very strong even with frequent cleaning (which I’m assuming is neither healthy for them nor me). Plus, floor time is difficult as a) there’s limited space, and b) they do NOT like to be picked up.

I have a well-ventilated garage attached to the house, and I’m wondering if I should move them into that garage? I work from home, and my bedroom doubles as my office, so the pigs are used to me being there beside them eight hours a day. I’m worried that moving them into the garage would be detrimental to their health. I wouldn’t be able to spend as much time with them, which concerns me. I’d still do our daily “clean up time”, which lasts about 30-minutes. I’d also check in on them. Still, it isn’t the same as me being right beside them for eight hours a day. However, they’d have better ventilation and, more than likely, be able to have more floor time. What are your thoughts and opinions on what would be best for the boys? Thanks!

Provided you go out there and spend time with them, living in the garage is fine from that point of view. The piggies technically do not need you for interaction - they have each other.
My boys live in my shed, I am out there a lot with them but they are fine for me to not be around them constantly.

What is important is they the garage is unused, safe, free of pests, has some natural light and remains a constant and safe temperature.

Regarding floor time and being in your room. Provided their cage is big enough for a boar pair then technically floor time does not need to be daily.
The smell - with boys, the more you fully clean the more the cage will smell. They will scent mark each time the bedding is fresh so over cleaning can make things worse.

Back