Best food to put on weight ?

Ixaac

New Born Pup
Reaction score
One of my boys has lost quite a bit of weight after being neutered (1 week ago) and still hasnt recovered his appetite he completely gone of his pellets and is eating half of his usual hay and veg. What's a good food to give him to help put that weight back on before it gets worrying? (If he's still not eating good by Friday I'll give the vets another call)

The best and healthiest way to help him put on weight is to get him eating lots of hay. Pellets only make up 5% of their diet and are the chocolate of the piggy world. Veg makes up around 15%. Hay is 80% so you can see why it’s what’s needed to maintain weight.

How much has he lost? Was he on any medication? I would switch to weighing him once daily (in the morning before veg etc) and syringe feeding him. Your sim is for him to take 40-60ml in a 24 hour period. If he’s still losing on a daily basis then you need to increase the amount.

I would also possibly have him checked out the the vet. Did he have any post op complications?

How much weight has he lost already?
If he is not eating enough hay and is losing weight then you must step in and syringe feed him (syringe enough each day to stop the weight loss, so you need to carry out daily weight checks) and see a vet sooner than Friday. There could be something going on which requires more immediate action - gut stimulants, more pain medication etc

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

Last edited:
I would agree with @Piggies&buns about an earlier vet trip.
When Micah was neutered he developed a scrotal abscess which was picked up when I took him back to the vet as he wasn’t eating or gaining weight.
He is now a very happy, big pig.

When I have been building up a post op piggy I have put a dish of the Critical Care in the cage as an extra to the syringe feeding.
I also pop in a small dish of grated carrot and raw oats.

Hope your boy picks up soon.

Back