Best coverage for the base of a Nero 4...opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (West Hunsbury), Northampton, UK
OK...I have just this moment put an order in for a Nero 4 Deluxe. It will arrive in the new year. To hell with the expense, Garry and Minty deserve it! Anyhow, I was wondering what would be the best (and possibly the most economic) thing to use to cover the base of the cage? Just a thought that crossed my mind as it is substantially bigger than the cage they are in now... (P@H didn't have any Nero 3s when I adopted them 98) so they ended up with a Nero 2...and are getting bigger!)

Ooh..I can't wait to see them when they get to move in to their spacious new abode...might be a bit of popcorning ahead! :smitten:

I think it all depends on how many times you want to clean them out.

I use newspaper and fleece blankets and change every day. You could use Megazorb and newspaper which would cost around £5.00 for a 3ft bag and would probably last a month (you don't need a lot of it).

I personally love newspaper and fleece because it has meant my weekly bedding bill is zero pounds! :)

Try here http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/stockists.htm for Megazorb.

I got my fleece blankets from Bargain madness they were £1.99 but I think with Nero 4 £3.99 ones would be better. The £1.99 ones cover a Nero 3 easily though. :)

Megazorb is great for the pigs I found it too dusty (I'm sensitive to dust with having rhinitis) my personal favourite is carefresh but it is too expensive, the sooner they make it cheaper and in bigger bags the better. :)

I used to use newspaper and hay and bought them the massive rat hives (for extra comfort) to hang from the ceiling of the cage.

I use Medibed from Dengie. Newspaper underneath :) Piles of hay for playing :)

MintyAndGarry said:
Megazorb sounds interesting...have just been having a bit of a google. I think I'll have a root around locally and see how easy it is to get when I get home... Mind you, I could also check around for fleece blankets too...a definite option!

my boys used to be in a nero 3 before i moved them into a C+C i tried all different kinds of bedding.
i found that fleece got smelly far too quickly in smaller cages, and is only really worthwhile if you have the time to clean them every single day.

megazorb in my opinion would be good for the cage you have. i use it now, and used it in the nero 3, and found it lasted longer, its very absorbant, and when i had the nero 3 a sack of megazorb lasted about 6 weeks. nero 4 is a bit bigger so should last about a month for you.

one tip i will give is, if you do go for megazorb, you really dont need a thick layer of it in the base of the cage, as it is so absorbant, and you will find you are wasting it. i only do a very thin layer, and in my C+C i pile one corner of the cage full of hay (on top of the megazorb) for them to play/sleep/whatever in

hope that helps :)

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Try here http://www.northerncropdriers.co.uk/stockists.htm for Megazorb.

I got my fleece blankets from Bargain madness they were £1.99 but I think with Nero 4 £3.99 ones would be better. The £1.99 ones cover a Nero 3 easily though. :)

Megazorb is great for the pigs I found it too dusty (I'm sensitive to dust with having rhinitis) my personal favourite is carefresh but it is too expensive, the sooner they make it cheaper and in bigger bags the better. :)

Ikea do cheap fleece blankets too, they do a really pale blue one for about £1.50.

Was wondering if you had thought of using mattress potectors instead of newspaper. An american site put me onto it and they're great. I got a kingsize mattress protector from primark for £6 cut it in half lengthways and it gives two layers of padding and then the blanket on top. Just tuck the ends of the blanket around the mattress protectors. With spot cleaning everyday I change the cage every 5 days or so.They're much more absorbent than towels or newspaper and a lot easier to spread out on the cage floor as well.

I have thought about puppy sheets for underneath, you can get them really cheap in pound shops. Might give them a go if I find any. :)

I have tried several combinations. I love the vetbed but it goes manky after a few weeks of washing and just looks horrid, I tried megazorb and tho absorbant, too messy and dusty for me, I cant get medibed-I would love to try that but I now use newspaper, aubiose and big pile of hay and it is a little messy but fab ;)

Can't your Aubiose supplier get Medibed LJ? Or have you tried that avenue ::) Medibed isn't as absorbent as Aubiose but is softer :) Worse for the environment because you use more of it too :-\ but it does compost :)

Yes, I asked them and they wont get it in as they sell russel rabbit, that is not cost effective though. I am happy with aubiose, its just a bit messy!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the ideas! The new cage will now be arriving on 9th January (due to cancellation of the original order and having to go elsewhere). I think I might start off with the fleece idea and see how I get on. Changing them daily wouldn't be a problem. If they get a bit pongy then I'll have a rethink!

Can't wait for them to get their new cage...can't wait to get home to see them either! :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back