Best Brush For Silkies

Kithri

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, all! We've just added two beautiful silkies to our club, and now we need to get a brush! What would be the best kind? I was told a cat brush, but should it be wire or plastic bristles? Also, is there a method that works best for brushing them? Thanks!

-Kithri

My Betsy is a Sheltie with a coronet. She fell out with the comb a long time ago. I got her a Porcupine Brush from The Range. It looks like this.
Porcupine Brush.webp

It's not that popular but she tolerates it more than the comb. She will only let me brush her 2 or 3 times a week. I know when she needs to visit the Salon as she gets very matted on her rear end. She has a 'do' every 6-8 weeks where she gets a very fashionable wedge cut. In the summer she has a grade 4 all over and looks like a normal guinea pig for a while which is very odd!

I use an old hair brush of my fathers. It has straight bristles (no nobbly bits on the ends). Similar to a body brush for horses.

I've heard good things about 'tangle teezers' for longhairs, been meaning to get one to try on Bramble.

I've heard good things about 'tangle teezers' for longhairs, been meaning to get one to try on Bramble.
That's what I was advised to use on Perran (my sheltie) by the rescue. As it is I actually just shave her down as she's more active without hair limiting her legs.

Back